We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Looking at going into Cork for a couple of day tours and know Mallow is close and much more affordable. It also sounds like a nice town to make a base for 3 nights.

Reviews of the B&Bs and hotels very good here but hard to get a sense of location. Have been fooled too many times with the "easy or short walk" phrase that usually has 10 minutes attached to it. Looking for single affordable room likely early May. Any suggestions?

Other question has to do with public transit - looks like frequent bus and train service to Cork. Wondering if I am right about that and also what a taxi would cost?

10 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
879 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

How much cheaper can Mallow be? Factor the time and the return fares, how much do you actually save? Cork is a great city for a few nights.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

There's about 25 trains each way a day and maybe 10-12 buses. Allow that the return train fare is something in the region of €20.

I'd be surprised if you got much change out of €50 for a one way taxi journey.

There is a proper train station there, but just a bus stop.

Allowing for those costs, I don't know how much cheaper it could be than staying in Cork. If I was looking for an argument for staying that, it's also a handy location for visiting Limerick and Killarney if dependent on public transport.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

I may get a bus pass but even factoring in cost of bus it is still considerably cheaper than Cork. Was interested in Killarney too so likely good for that it sounds.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,973 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Mallow has one hotel, the Hibernian and yes, it is a good ten mins walk from the train station.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Is it close to bus stop?

Bolton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Hi Please could anyone advise on bus schedules from Mallow to Killarney

Thanks

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

There aren't any direct buses from Mallow to Killarney.

However, there is an 8x daily train service. Services are between quarter past and half past every odd hour.

Buses from Mallow just serve local towns (Newmarket, Kanturk, Doneraile, Buttevant, Charleville), with the exception of Bus Eireann's service 40, (Cork-Limerick-Galway) and Citylink's Cork-Airport-Limerick-Galway service.

Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

I'd be with the other posters on this unless you specifically want to stay in Mallow and see what's around there (difficult unless you have a car), I'd suggest staying closer to Cork as transport costs will wipe out any savings. If Cork city accommodation is too expensive, how about Cobh? It's a really nice town, on the coast and an easy 25 minute commuter train ride into the city.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Hi, I'm the op from 2 years ago. The latest poster was asking about transit schedules rather than accommodation. Because of a family illness last year my trip didn't happen. Current plan is early May 2016 and will plan to stay in Cork rather than Mallow based on advice on this post.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,786 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay close to bus and train stations

Always good when the OP comes back.

Many thanks.

Reply to: Place to stay close to bus and train stations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mallow
More Mallow Topics