We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

What's the vibe of the town? What are the highlights? I hear there is superb pub-going and music-hearing which I am excited about, but any other advice?

Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

Great town with a good atmosphere. Barrys in Clonakility is famous for the music. Try Sugan for relaxed pub food... I will leave others to advise more who may be more expert.

france
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

you can go in the pub An Teach Beag. it 's a small pub, but very friendly. the music is beautiful.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

Hi, Clonakilty has a lovely vibe alright. Just one note on Friendlytips advice it's actually de Barras pub, www.debarra.com that has the music. Have a look at their site and you'll see what's coming up. Teach beag is around the back of O'Donovan's Hotel (don't eat there!) but is closed in the Winter and opens for St Patricks weekend and from there on weekends only generally until June when it opens full time for the rest of the summer closing again in September.

There's good surfing, cycling, hill walking nearby too. It's a very foodie area with lots of good restaurants. Have a look at my previous posts on Clonakilty where I've talked a lot about where's good and not so good to eat. Also check out www.clon.ie and www.clonakilty.ie, they'll both give you a good basic idea.

Clonakilty is an excellent location to base yourself for touring West Cork and Kerry.

If you can give me an idea of what you're interested in and what mode of transport you'll be using I can be more specific!

Mentioned in this post
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

Is The Venue still on the go?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

Sadly The Venue isn't open regularly anymore. There are one off event's there, for example there's a fundraiser this coming sunday night to set up an art trail in Clonakilty, fancy dress, band followed by dj, being very seasonal and all! Please excuse the small plug!

The Venue is hired for events, it's a shame because it was the only late night option for anyone over 25 or interested in something other than thumping dance music after the pub. But there is rumour locally that they may reopen, fingers crossed.

Mentioned in this post
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of visiting Clonakilty

I hope it does, Uisce, cos it was a good old spot. The only thing I didnt like about it was the bright lighting. At that hour of the night, a girl needs all the help she can get!

Get answers to your questions about Clonakilty