We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help wanted

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help wanted

Have booked my flights to Cork and am visiting Kinsale for 2 nights in October for a weekend break.

Am finding it difficult to choose where to stay - have narrowed it down to Desmond House, The Gallery & Acton Hotel. Out of the three which would you choose?

Many thanks if you're reading this.

Matt

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
108 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help wanted

Just back from staying at The Gallery .. it was simply lovely! (Read my post on "just got back") - Tom is a wonderful host and he couldn't do enough for his ... and as for his recommendation on eating out, I could have kissed him .. the meal was sublime! (Hobys)

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help wanted

Thank you. I just love the look of their website! It looks very quirky. Will you be posting a review on here?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
108 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help wanted

Ha ha ... bizarrely, that's why I chose the place too.

Hmm what can I tell you without your waiting for me to get my finger out and do my blog ... well ... the position of the B & B is excellent .. Just a three minute walk from the harbour front and surrounded by crooked little streets, brightly painted shops and some outstanding restaurants.

Our room was lovely .. it's an old cottage, so is going to reflect that .. i.e. it has nooks and crannies. The lighting is warm and welcoming and they have lovely old fashioned bedside lamps that, when lit, just welcome you in, totally. The pillows were a bit hard, but that's the only "off" thing I have to say about the place ... we had Room No. 4 which is over the street; a little bit noisy from traffic on the street, but then again, we live in the middle of nowhere and aren't used to that .. but it in no way made us think .. "aghhh!"

The breakfast room is gorgeous .. only small, but it fits in Tom's grand piano. Breakfast was yummy .. the usual fayre but also added scrumptious items (you must have read the menu and I can say, the pancakes are as good as you think they are going to be).

As a Host, Tom is lovely. We arrived back, totally knackered, on the Wednesday, after doing a marathon drive down the coast and then deciding to do the Ring Of Kerry .. (we could hardly see straight) and we asked him where was good to eat and he recommended Blue Haven and Hobys. We decided on Hobys as it was only a step away .. (a minute) and it didnt disappoint. As it was late I only wanted a main course and decided on the salmon .. I honestly couldnt fault it. I even ate the skin which totally surprised my husband .. but it was cooked to perfection, the skin being crunchy and salty and the salmon itself utterly melt in the mouth.

On the Thursday we got back from our day out and showered .. and when we got up Friday morning we realised that someone must have been in and changed the towels ... so we had three changes in the two days we stayed there.

Tom asked us both mornings what we had done for the day and recommended places if we needed and can talk forever about Kinsale.

By the way, we took his recommendation on Hobys for the Thursday night and are so glad we did. (More to come on that next time)

Right .. am ready for my Gin and Tonic.

Any more questions, please do ask.

Saffy

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
108 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help wanted

OOps .. sorry .. we went to Blue Haven on the first night ... the salmon.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,839 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help wanted

Hi Matt, we stayed at the Gallery a few years ago and really liked it.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,839 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help wanted

Sorry, forgot. In the Gallery you're really just around the corner from everywhere. Really handy.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help wanted

Matt, Kjjones did stay in Desmond House, Kinsale in July I think. Why not send her a Private message about it?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help wanted

Bryno is my personal assistant, in case you all were wondering, he fields all my messages.

;)) Only kidding. But ahhh, to actually have a personal assistant, wouldn't that be something??

Ok, yes, I did stay at Desmond House, 2 nights in May this year. And no, shame on me, I did not yet write a review. I hesitated a few times. How to explain. Hmm.

Obviously, Desmond House has plenty of reviews on here, it's a top rated B&B. And, yes it deserves it. Great location, great big rooms, I mean HUGE rooms, honestly. Very pleasant host. All the items you expect/desire a B&B to have. Would I stay there again on a return visit to Kinsale...? Hmmm...probably not immediately. I think I just had high expectations (as unfair as that sounds). Breakfasts were our least favorite of the trip, even though they were built up as something special, bacon cut especially for them, bread bought from specialty bakery, etc. And the menu didn't seem to have anything other than eggs and bacon prepared this way or eggs and bacon prepared that way. Meaning - no french toast, pancakes, porridge, other unique choices, etc. that we had at so many other B&B's - it was just eggs, granted you could have them prepared just about any way you can imagine. The bacon seemed to be more poached and watery, I like my bacon a little more crisp. Just personal preferences that made it not jump to the 'favorites' list.

The room was HUGE, but just little things we noticed, cracked mirror closet door, blankets and other misc. items stored in the closet were just sort of thrown in, as if the closet was being used for personal storage space instead of guest use. Electrical cords strung around, some furniture handles were broken, HUGE bed - was very hard - and the tv (not usually a priority on vacation, granted) was pretty small and located across the HUGE room from the bed. So if you wanted to lay in bed and watch tv, you pretty much had to squint to see it (which we did as it poured outside and this is where I became hooked on Coronation Street).

Our bathroom had two issues - one, the owner told us about, the corner of the shower/tub leaked due to a bad sealant joint, they placed a towel on the floor to soak up the water. Two, after returning to the room from dinner, the bathroom floor was partially flooded, the water was coming from around the toilet handle. Somehow the handle became lose and the water kept running (very quietly) and trickled out from around the handle, and down the tank. A problem we fixed ourselves that night and told the owner about in the morning, he had it repaired right away. Just two little things that were taken care of, but still...we felt bad because the bathrooms were just remodeled and I know it was expensive to remodel, it seems they didn't quite get the workmanship they paid for.

I still hesitate as I write this, Desmond House is a nice B&B, I can't really fault anything, there was nothing horrible our unfriendly about it. I can only say it wasn't our favorite and we'd try somewhere else in Kinsale next time, just to see what else the town has to offer.

I don't know if that helps or hurts, Matt. But there it is!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help wanted

Kjj, I've three calls holding, your ex is in reception, Your starbucks is on the way up, no donuts today, well you told me not to, your hostile takeover of the Cadburys Chocolate factory has failed and the dog walker texted to say the dogs have gone missing - again.

I resign.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help wanted

Bryno - NO! You can't resign! I will double your pay. I need you! As for the dogs...call off the search, I never really liked the little one much.

Seriously, let me add to my *ahem* review above, this is in comparison with all other B&Bs we stayed at during our trip, most of which were just perfect, down to every last detail. Also, understanding Kinsale is a more expensive town to visit, Desmond House was double or more the price of any other on our trip (except our hotel in Dublin). While it is right in line with local Kinsale market prices, that also was in the back of our minds.

If it was our only B&B in the trip, we probably would have loved it more, but in comparison to other locations, it didn't rise to the top.

Get answers to your questions about Kinsale