We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

We are moving to Kinsale for approx. 6 months. Do you have any advice/tips/things that would be helpful to know about living in Kinsale. My husband will be working and I will be bumming around the apartment. :) Anything to share about life in Kinsale, grocery shopping, safety, what places to go or to avoid, getting around town, exercise facilities, things to do as a resident and not just a tourist, etc.? If you're a Kinsale resident, I would LOVE any and all insights. What do I need to know about LIVING in Kinsale, not just visiting it? Thanks in advance!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

I don't live there but visit a lot.

First, you will need a car for certain, no point being at the gateway to West Cork and Kerry and not have one.

Second, Kinsale is a small town in Ireland terms. You can literally walk around the inner streets in 20 minutes. In Winter the local residents 'own it' . In summer it is a very busy tourist destination not to mention a very popular day trip destinationi for thousands from all around the county and nearby (16miles) Cork City, Saturdays/Sundays in Summer is a very busy time there when the Pier Road is used extensively by visitors.

Despite it's size, Kinsale has everything you will need for a very pleasant lifestyle, depending on which area you choose to live. I would avoid appartments overlooking any of the main streets in the town or very near pubs, restaurants and hotels. At the same time it would be nice to be within walking distance of the town if at all possible for convenience. It has good shops, supermarkets, banks, pubs. It has a very good farmers market weekly. Getting around - has to be on foot or buy a couple of second hand bicycles if that interests you. It will not take you long at all to get to know Kinsale town, getting to know the environs around it will take a little longer.

To get to and from Kinsale by public transport is fine from Cork city (50 minute trip - because it has to make a number of stops including a call to the aiport arrivals terminal). However to get anywhere else by public transport you must take the bus from Kinsale to Cork city and then any onward trips from there.

Bumming around the appartment could get a little monotonous so it would be great to set yourself at least a few goals to aim for when you are there. There is so much to see and do in the Cork area - you could write a book about it - now there's an idea !!! Or what about starting an online Blog.

Exercising can be done as cheaply as a daily jog out and back to Charlesfort using the mostly car - free Scilly walk. The area around Garrettstown beach is excellent for jogging or walking. This beach is 6 miles from Kinsale. (It's a well known surfing area too)

There are 4 hotels in the town (Actons, Trident, Blue Haven, Perryville) and at least one of them will have a gym that you can join.

I think one goal for you could be to do a Sailing course (if you don't have that skill already). There is a sailing school right in Kinsale and members of the nearby Kinsale Yacht Club are always looking for 'crew' (either experienced or not) to take part in year round sailling leagues. Just ask at the club house on Pier road.

If you have no interest in photography, now maybe the time to think about taking it up. Why not commit yourself to taking at least one photograph every week for the six months you are in Kinsale and then presenting them in an album to your husband when the trip is finished.

Kinsale Golf club for golf lessons - impress the hubby with your swing !!

You could also consider a part time job (very part time !) in one of the local speciality shops. I'm talking one day a week here now, don't panic! That way you would get to meet lots of new people, both local and tourist. Alternatively - volunteer for one of the volunteering groups based there. Supermarket noticeboards or the tourist office is good for this.

Why not stick the list of 101 things to do in Kinsale on your noticeboard and start ticking off those boxes !! Here's a link to the list www.kinsale.ie/101things.pdf

Finally, while there you should plan at least 6 away day trips to places of interest in West or East cork. You plan it all and deliver to husband.

So much to see and you will find 6 months will fly by.

Lucky you. Enjoy it all.

www.kinsale.ie

www.thetridenthotel.com (leisure centre and pool)

www.actonshotelkinsale.com (leisure centre and pool)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Garrettstown
Garrettstown
County Cork, Ireland
Kinsale Yacht Club
Kinsale Yacht Club
8 Reviews
Kinsale, Ireland
Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

Thank you so much, Bryno! I will be keeping a blog, and I am a writer who's a little out of practice, so I am also planning to take advantage of the opportunity to get back into the swing of writing - it would be great if a book was in the cards!!!

I really appreciate your suggestions and advice! We will have a car; I will just have to get up the nerve to drive over there. We're expecting a lot of friends and famiy to come and visit us, so I'm a little concerned about the lack of public transit. If I don't want to chauffer everyone around, I suppose I can always drive them into Cork (or make them take the bus!) and they can take transit from there. :) I'm glad that Kinsale itself is very walkable, so during the day I should be able to do my grocery shopping/marketing and generally enjoy the town on foot. We already have an apartment provided in the Shearwater development off Pier Road. We are thinking about joining the gym at Actons Hotel.

We know things are going to be significantly more expensive than we're used to, so we're trying to prepare ourselves for the sticker shock at restaurants and stores. Hopefully we'll be able to find some more inexpensive dining options since we'll be there longer than your average tourist.

I love your suggestions for activites. My husband loves golfing, but the most I can do is hit the ball, so I'm sure he'd love for me to get some skills. And sailing would be a great new adventure! I do have an interest in photography and plan to take lots of photos while there, so I'll probably try to get creative and do some scrapbooking. Wish I had the $$ to get a nice SLR camera and Photoshop. :) Thanks also for the volunteering suggestion; I will keep an eye out for those opportunities. I also see there's a book club at the local bookshop, so maybe I can get involved in that, too, and meet some wonderful people.

Thanks again! I'm sure to have lots more questions...haha!

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Actons Hotel Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
1,012 Reviews
Kinsale, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

Shearwater !!!! You couldn't be more central - you won't even need those bikes!!! I am envious - it just ain't fair ;-)).

Actons is 2 mins away. The yacht club is 1 min away. The yacht marina is just a stagger across the road. I believe you will be bang in the centre of everything. SCORE !

Regarding restaurant prices. Yes there are many restaurants to choose from in Kinsale, but you won't always have to eat out and experimenting with amazing locally produced foodstuffs can become yet another hobby to get stuck into. (As if you won't be busy enough)

The local bookshop will be full of cookery books written by superb irish chefs whose focus is on irish and in season produce. You can WOW all those visitors with simple yet delicious Irish dishes.

Chefs to look out for here are:

Darina Allen

Rachel Allen (Daughter in law of above)

Nevin Maguire

Kevin Dundon

Carmel Somers.....to name but a few.

All of them have produced at least one excellent cookery book.

Re driving: You will soon become an expert.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

Wow, glad to hear our location will be so great! It's hard to tell just by looking at maps. Thanks again!

If there's anyone else out there with any advice, I'd welcome that, too!

St Louis
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

I'm not an expert on Kinsale--I only visited it for a while--but ever since then I've wanted to go back.

I would love to read your blog on your stay there so I can re-visit Kinsale vicariously. Please post your blog address.

Many thanks!

MaryinStL

Edited: 16 March 2010, 16:12
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

bring money!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

There goes Whales being incredibly helpful once again with his two word sentences of wisdom.

Way to go Whales - 10 out of 10 for helpfulness (NOT)

Kinsale
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

I live in Kinsale... well, just outside and work in Trident Hotel. We're associated with Actons - have you been in touch with them about the gym yet? I agree, your location is superb, and they're lovely apartments... and righ in front of you can can brunch in Vista or browse in Jane Boutique... literally right outside your front door! If you look on www.kinsale.ie there's a full list of activity providers. If you have specific questions, drop me a line!

9. Re: Moving to Kinsale for 6 Months - Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations