We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday in Kinsale

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday in Kinsale

I'm planning a trip for next October. (Yes, I know!). What is there to do in Kinsale on a Sunday without a car? Are the shops open? We can't eat all day!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

You can do the beautiful walk from Kinsale to Charlesfort via the Scilly walk. You can then visit Charlesfort itself - a must see when in Kinsale. €4 entry and it is worth it for the views alone. Walk there and back including 1 hour visit of the fort will take you about 2.5 hours

You can explore the town and it's quirky little shops. Yes, the shops will be open. Tour of the town will take about 1 hour.

Have something nice to eat in one of the pubs there. Jim Edwards is a good bet. This will take about 1 hour.

You can do this http://www.kinsaleharbourcruises.com/ It will be open in October.

It's no problem that you won't have a car. However if you did, you could include a drive out to Old Head of Kinsale. The head is closed to the public but there is a very nice viewing point which is free and open to the public.

You could also have visited Garrettstown Beach for a brisk walk before/after lunch.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 18:31
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,363 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

There is a tourist train that goes out to Charles Fort if the walk sounds too long. I'm unsure whether it still runs in October though.

If you are walking, make sure to follow signs for Scilly Walking Tour when you get to The Spaniard pub. You'll get to walk on a car free path along the waterfront instead of along the main road.

The path actually carries on beyond Charles Fort and is still quite a pleasant walk on a nice day, even if it's beyond the last tourist sites.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,965 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Another vote for Jim Edwards.

www.jimedwardskinsale.com/

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Thanks! I was there once before, stayed at the Boland house and had a wonderful time. But we had a car so got to see alot. Driving was horrendous, so this time I'm having a driver most of the time but knew we would be happy without a car in Kinsale. Also, I'm bringing my sisters so want to be sure I can keep them entertained. (Just being there is entertainment enough for me.)

Obviously you're a man or you would know that, if the shops are open, shopping will take more than an hour! I didn't know about the harbour cruise and am especially looking forward to that. I wish our time in Kinsale could be a little longer. We arrive Friday evening and will be taking the bus to Cork on Saturday. On Monday, we'll go to Cogh before heading for Shannon.

Mary

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Thank you! I didn't know about the scilly walking tour or the train. Great ideas. Wish I had more time!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Thanks! So many places to eat in Kinsale - nice to have a recommendation!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Yes Bryno is a man, -let me just check that..........................

Yep.

But I do like shopping (sometimes) and there has to be something in it for me ;-))

Will you be in Cork city on Saturday and Sunday? Do you need an itinerary for that portion of your trip?

Edited: 08 November 2012, 16:10
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Mary, just to give you an idea - the walk out to Charles Fort is just shy of two miles one way and at times, a few steep hills. There are spectacular views along the way and it's well worth it, IMO.

There is also a walking tour of Kinsale led by a local guy (can't remember his name but our B&b hosts mentioned it, plus it was mentioned in one of my guide books). Don't know if it is available on Sundays - we weren't able to do it, but had hoped to as it sounded interesting.

Desmond Castle is a neat little place to check out with a pretty diverse history (served as a custom house, jail and workhouse It's small and also houses the "international museum of wine." Nothing really spectacular to see in that regard, but the man working the tourist desk gave us a brief overview of the history of wine in Ireland and its relationship to the wine industry in France. Learning several things I never knew before. if you are looking for things to do, it's a neat place to stop for 30 minutes or so.

Make sure you walk through Market Square - I think that's what it is called. It's sort of behind the White House Tavern and has some really brightly painted buildings that house some neat little shops just off one of the main drags. We almost missed it but our B&B hosts had told us that when we left Desmond Castle to walk down Chairman's Lane and look for a set of stairs that brings you down to the Market Square. I didn't realize where we were until we came out on the front side and saw the White House Tavern, which is right in the central square area. We would have missed those little shops otherwise.

For meals, we ate dinner at Fishy Fishy (eh, okay, but pricey, busy and the service wasn't that desirable). We enjoyed music and fresh oysters at the White House Tavern and in hindsight, wished we had just eaten dinner there instead of leaving after the oysters. We went back after dinner and the music was fabulous. Jim Edwards got high marks from a few people we asked, but I think the night we were there, the menu didn't appeal to us as much as Fishy Fishy did.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

I'm not terribly interested in Cork City (yet). I'm still working on the more southern areas; however, I think it's good to take a peek. Plus it's fun to ride the bus from Kinsale. Once there, we'll explore the English Market, have lunch, window shop, take a tour on the doubledecker bus and then ?? I appreciate your help!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday in Kinsale

Thanks! I'm glad to have your restaurant opinions, especially since Fishy Fishy gets such great reviews. I'll check the White House Tavern. On a previous trip, I did the walking tour and it was great fun. I can't believe I would have missed the market square! I'll check. Thanks again.

I notice you're in Annapolis. I'm in Bel Air.

Mary

Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations