We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

I have a month to decide whether to stay in a Kinsale hotel (Actons) vs. a B&B (Old Presbytery) at the end of August 2013. Never been to Kinsale, so wondering if the quaint seaside village experience will be missed if we decide to stay in a big hotel instead of a small, neighborhood B&B. Any advice?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,760 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

You'll not go wrong at either.

Go with the rate.

New York
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

agree with above" another way of expressing (theoretically) differences in a word is rolling the dice in posh potential vs. that of cozy personal touch--

Edited: 25 July 2013, 04:00
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

Actons (recently nicely refurbished - it needed it !), while a medium sized hotel in Irish terms has always had that B&B atmosphere anyway. You rarely feel you are in a 'chain' when in Actons. For me, though, a room at the front of the hotel and on the 3rd floor (top) would be a must. It also has a swimming pool if that will swing it for you. Good free onsite parking also. However, if you are finding it difficult to choose - go with the best rate

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

Thanks for your thoughts, problem is they are the same rate/night and both have free parking. We have a harbor view at the hotel & a village view at the B&B. Does that help with narrowing this down, in your opinions?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

I'm not sure what the village view is or where exactly the Old Presbytery is but be mindful that if it is in the heart of town, you might get some noise if you are close to the bars and restaurants and your room faces them. I don't recall where Actons is, but I have to say, having a harbor view sounds very appealing. I very much enjoyed walking the promenade along the harbor, so being able to wake up to that view in the morning sounds delightful. We very much enjoyed our accommodations in Kinsale, and would stay at the same place again, but unfortunately, did not have a harbor view. In the end, only you can decide what you think you'll like best!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

Darn tried to edit but ran out of time and then lost everything I typed! I went back and looked at the map to see where both of the places were located and noted that the Old Presbytery is right around the corner from where we stayed (Cloisters B&B). We really liked the location of our b&b as it was just a quick walk (just a couple short blocks) from all the restaurants, bars and shops, but the street itself was quite peaceful, though did not have a view. Well, it had a view of a lovely church across the street, but that doesn't compare to a harbor view. It looks like Actons is right in the heart of town along the main thoroughfare. Perhaps the rooms are sheltered from the noise of traffic and people heading to/from the shops/bars/restaurants in which case, having a lovely harbor view might be preferable. Only you can really decide what you prefer but I don't think you could go wrong either way unless you want to be a quick walk away from the hustle/bustle in which I'd suggest the Old Presbytery instead.

New York
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

One other factor in helping you decide might involve whichever is less repetitive of the other settings on your vacation. How often will I be with a water view? How often will I be in the heart of towns? If one of the two presents something fresher in an aspect from the rest of the trip, that might be the ticket. Ultimately, either one can work nicely and don't fall into the trappings of greener grass beyond the fence.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 17:10
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,760 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

That being the case, I'd book Actons.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

Thanks for your thoughts group. I'll review yoru input with my better half & we'll decide (although, I'm leaning towards the harbor view given your suggestions. Thank you very much!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,760 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in a Kinsale hotel or B&B?

You're welcome.

Enjoy your vacation.

Get answers to your questions about Kinsale