We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

Which Kinsale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, NV
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

We have one night (our only one night stay) in our itinerary for Cobh or Kinsale area. We will be coming from Killkenny. We want to see Cobh (Queenstown Story), perhaps Ardmore and Middleton on the way. Next day will be to Kenmare for 3 nights. Cobh looks so quaint but Kinsale looks like it might have more pub/dining/loding options. Any thoughts on what might be a better choice?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,625 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

I personally prefer Cobh to Kinsale. There are some lovely restaurants in Cobh - Bryno and others are better positioned to give a greater overall view.

Also in Cobh you are close to the Jameson Distillery in Midleton and that is WELL WORTH a visit.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

I'd choose Kinsale.

www.actonshotelkinsale.com/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

Cobh always gets my vote as a less pretentious option. Blarney might also be worth considering as an overnight, gives chance to see the Castle and grounds outside tour bus times.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

Are there lots of tourists from the cruise ships streaming into Cobh during the peak season at the end of June ?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

It depends on the day. The Port of Cork will publish a schedule in coming months, so any potential visitor who is concerned can avoid the days the cruise liners are in. A lot of tourists just hop straight on a coach to Blarney, Kinsale or Killarney and don't see Cobh at all. Where you can really notice the impact is on the trains to Cobh as these can become quite crowded and there can be long queues to buy tickets. Cruise passengers are all gone by the evening anyway, so it doesn't put huge pressure on hotels and restaurants.

In answer to the original question, Kinsale is better for dining and entertainment, but Cobh might be better for things to do during the daytime (Titanic Exhibition, The Queenstown Story, Spike Island). As Tony says, it is also a bit less pretentious.

You wouldn't necessarily have to spend the night after visiting either town. Cork City and Blarney are options. There are also a few hotels around the Fota/Little Island direction, although you won't find too many facilities within walking distance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

Many thanks Blackgreen.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'd like to do the ferry ride from Cobh to Spike Island.

Do you know how long the ferry ride is ?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

The ferry from Cobh to Spike Island takes about <15 mins. It can be pre booked here, or booked near the pier on the day of travel titanic.ie/tours/spike-island-guided-walking…

Edited: 30 December 2013, 10:17
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

When the cruise schedule is published, you'll find it here

portofcork.ie/index.cfm/…cruiseschedule2010

Don't worry about the 2010 part in the URL, they seem to use the same one each year.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 10:20
Kinsale
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

Kinsale is the best choice.

Cobh, as you say is good for a quick visit to see the centre,

Kinsale is THE place to stay for heritage, food and surrounding area en route

look at kinsale.ie or kinsaleheritage.com to get a flavour of the town

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cobh or Kinsale for one night stay

Errrr, a bit biased there ??" "THE" place to stay? Not in my book, but then I am not promoting my own town.

Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations