We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adare day trips

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Adare day trips

Just looking for opinions here on options. Arriving Shannon early morning. Two nights in Adare B and B with a car. Rock of Cashel, Gap of Dunloe, and Lough Gur are all appealing. As are the sights and pubs of Adare itself. Headed up to Clare for the rest of the trip. I realize they are all good, but time constraints limit options. Appreciate all responses, realize other choices exist.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adare day trips

Lough Gur is fabulous.

While the Gap of Dunloe is lovely, you might well achieve more with just heading to Muckross House and Gardens and Torc Waterfall.

Throwing the cat among the pigeons, you could also easily do Cobh and Midleton (Jameson Distillery) and Blarney in Cork in a day trip from Adare.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adare day trips

Thank you for your response. The odd thing is that there are no bad choices, but we still feel the need to make "good decisions." Your alternate idea about Killarney is interesting. I have read very good reviews of both places.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adare day trips

From previous posts on the topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g211880-i1928-k485…

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adare day trips

I used Adare as a base last month. Since my days were brief with less daylight, I stayed within 1 hour. Enjoyed Limerick for a day, King Johns Castle, a nice cozy pub lunch by a fire, then The Hunt Museum and Limerick Museum, and then over to Bunratty Castle for the Medieval Banquet, no kids and it was poring rain so we skipped the Folk Park. We did return another day to do a tour of Bunratty Castle so we could see more than the Banquet hall, and added Knappogue Castle as well, which also has a Medieval Banquet see Shannon Heritage for tickets info etc as there are more events I believe. Also Google Adare Ireland and you will get websites with a schedule of which pubs have music on what nights.

The real Highlight of the day in Limerick was magical Gregorian Chanting of Traditional Christmas songs at St. Mary's Cathedral. Heavenly !!

Cheers !

Sunny

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adare day trips

And PS- we loved The Cornstore restaurant for dinner another night, excellent recommendation from BeanA, many thanks again. Another fine dinner was the Curragower Seafood Bar, a little place on a corner just across the river from King Johns Castle, with another cozy fire and a fine dinner.

Enjoy !

Sunny

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adare day trips

Thank you for your response. More grist for the mill.

7. Re: Adare day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Adare