We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

Has anyone stayed here? The location looks great. We'll be in Clifden in April, 2008, but would like reviews from anyone who has stayed here or been to Clifden.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

Can't fill you in on a review, but a fantastic location and views are guaranteed. About a 7 minute drive to town and the owner is a very nice guy, so have a nice time.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

thanks for your comments. I've done some more research and it looks like a good choice.

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

Haven`t stayed at the coastguard station but I`ve spent a little time in Clifden what would you like to know.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

We'll be driving in from Dublin to stay in the Galway area. Do you think Clifden is a nice place to stay? We want to be close to Galway but in a smaller village near the sea. We would really like a self-catering cottage but don't want to be in a holiday park. Does Clifden have fun pubs with music? thx

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

I`m glad to here you`re driving,its the only way to really see the country.I drove from Dublin to a timeshare on the Renvyle House property not to far from Clifden.To start Clifden is an excellent choice,a beautiful small town with quite a few very nice pubs. I didn`t see any pictures of the town center so I posted some and they should be viewable very soon.If you`re staying in a self catering cottage then you`ll be doing some shopping and the super value should have everything you need and it has parking underneath if you park on the street you`ll need to get a parking disc or slip that can be purchased at several stores.Oh and by the way if you like the frenches yellow mustard,take some with you.You can buy several types there but they all have a hint of horseradish.And be prepared if you`ve never driven out of country then give yourself plenty of extra time #1)you can`t compare the distances you drive in the states to the ones in Ireland unless you`re on the expressway, which the n59 is not.#2)There are several small communities between Clifden and Galway and the n59 will (weave) through these like the cords on the back of you`re computer and you must keep to the posted limit which believe it or not you probably won`t have any problem doing.

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

You didn`t say how long you were staying or what you had planned.Shopping in Eyre Square and the surrounding areas are great.If you plan on driving the Connemara loop you and find yourself near Letterfrack and hungry,I don`t remember the name of the restaurant but its on the left at the intersection in Letterfrack if you were coming from Kylemore Abbeygoing to Clifden. Which is another story do you plan on visiting the abbey,Cong or any of the other sights that are easily drivable?

Milano, Italy
Level Contributor
9 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

I'd like to stay at Coastguard Station in Clifden. Did you go there in April? Could you give me your follow up? Is it possible to park the car aoutside the house? thanks a lot.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

Just looking through old forums & fighting off cabin fever up here on the Slieve Aughty.

I have staed at the coastgard station 100% recomended plenty of parking space. Long walk into town & back is the only real fault but sat just half way along sightly below the Sky rd Stunning.

Anyway the arts wk is on until the 28th if anyone is looking for something to do this week.

9. Re: Coastguard Station, Clifden, Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about Clifden