We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling out from Clifden

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling out from Clifden

I'm a senior female, traveling solo and on a tight budget. This would not be my first trip to Ireland, but will probably be my last.I do not drive when in Ireland but that has never stopped me from getting to most of the places I want to see.

A few years ago, while staying in Galway, I took a Bus Eireann guided day trip from Galway to Connemara and fell totally in love with Connemara, what little of it I saw. I love the west of Ireland and want to see a bit more of that area on this trip. I thought I'd stay in Clifden but wonder about getting out to see more of Connemara from Clifden? I see that Bus Eireann offers a guided day tour from Ballina to Kylemore Abbey & Killary Fjord, but I haven't yet found any guided day trips from Clifden. Are there perhaps some private tour companies that operate out of the area? Taking a taxi would be cost prohibitive. Will I have to give in and rent a car?

Clifden
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

Hello!

Have a look at this. It seems like it might be a nice solution for you.

http://www.strollingconnemara.ie/

These are guided tours around most of Connemara, and a mini bus is provided as well. If you tell them I referred you, they might give you a special deal. Ask for Rose or Stuart.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

There is no harm being a single female but to get the most out of western Connemara you really need use of a car and depending on the time of year the roads can be really quiet. I have no knowledge of the tours listed above and I am not sure if the Connemara Safari excellent as it is might be a bit too much walking and most likely outside the scope of a tight budget.

What time of year are you thinking and how long in Clifden?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

Not single, but I travel solo. And, my sense of direction is terrible. One of my fears about driving while in Ireland is that I'll be so focused on driving (keeping to the right side of the road AND nervous about getting lost) that I'll mostly miss the scenery. That, and the cost of renting a vehicle is very high, but I'll give it some thought for this part of the trip anyway.

As to when I'll be visiting that I haven't decided yet, it may be early spring or as late as October. I'd like to stay a few days in Clifden.

I don't mind walking at all but I don't like organized tours too much, although small groups can be fun. I like to do what I want when I want, and tours aren't geared for that sort of independence. :)

I see a small dog in your photo, looks a bit like a Jack Russell? I have two JRTs. They stay home with my husband when I travel, but I miss them like mad.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

Should have said Solo sorry early hours of the morning. Brogan (named after the pub of the same name in Ennis) is a Pointer/Russell cross think his mum must have been lying down at the time.

Anyway.. Bus Eireann and City Link both serve Clifden from Galway. There are a couple of cab companies in Clifden who may do a decent rate on day hire out of season but you would have to contact them, Clifden Taxi have an email taxi@clifdentaxi.com but Joyces would need a phone call or letter Joyce Cabs Market Street Clifden, Co. Galway +3539522082. As to accommodation our place of choice is Dun Ri guest house just off the town loop but there are a couple of other options in town at the reasonable charge rate and a few which might be considered over priced by my wallet.

This site may be of interest

connemara.net/category/…

Anything specific just ask I will help if I can.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

"One of my fears about driving while in Ireland is that I'll be so focused on driving (keeping to the right side of the road AND nervous about getting lost) that I'll mostly miss the scenery."

If you DO decide to drive...please focus on keeping to the LEFT side of the road!!

Clifden
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

In Clifden Town, I can recommend the following places:

Dún Rí Guesthouse ( www.dunri.ie )

Sea Mist House ( www.seamisthouse.com )

Ben View House ( www.benviewhouse.com )

A small bit outside the town:

Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant ( www.ardaghhotel.com )

Seafield House B&B ( www.seafieldhouse.ie )

Clifden Bay Lodge ( www.clifdenbaylodge.com )

There's also King's taxi service ( info@kingscabs.com ), +353 87 9582398

Clifden
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

Forgot about Buttermilk Lodge ( www.buttermilk lodge.com ), about 5 mins. walk from the town centre.

8. Re: Traveling out from Clifden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Clifden