We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clifden beach closed

NY, NY
Level Contributor
376 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Clifden beach closed

I have read that Clifden Beach is closed for the summer due to water quality concerns. I thinking of letting a house off skye road and am wondering if the water would be suitable for swimming. The house overlooks Kingstown Bay. Any idea how I can find out if these waters are okay?

Thanks very much for all the help this board has given me.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clifden beach closed

Will check it out be back soon.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clifden beach closed

Yes held up by the powers that be elsewhere..again.

At the bottom of this Article there's the green coast notice. Kingstown beach down on the end of the Sky Rd is apparently fine

As are Cleggan and Claddaghduff. Dogs Bay and Gurteen towards Roundstone, Bunowen by the golf course. Renvyle has a great beach, very clean and safe. basically anywhere further down from the beach and waste water outlet is outside the warning area and open sea areas are clear.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
376 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clifden beach closed

Thank you T2P -- again! This home is on the north shore close to Clifden and not that far out on the peninsula. Is there a map of the affected area?

Clifden, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Clifden beach closed

Take a look at this link - Hope this is of some help! As you'll see there are many fabulous beaches around, you will be spoilt for choice!!!!

galway.ie/en/…20Profile.pdf

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clifden beach closed

It is basically just in the Estuary once into open sea there is enough dispersement to negate any risk. At the end of the Lower Sky Rd you can turn down to Kingstone and Eyrerphort the beaches there are safe and used by locals if you take the R341 over the bridge at the east of town towards Roundsone there is the beach @ Derrygilma which is always a stopping point with the grandkids.

Not sure there is an actual map of the affected area but call into Con O'maras on Main St they will give you the lowdown and point things out.

6. Re: Clifden beach closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:17