We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clifden eating

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Clifden eating

Going to be in Clifden for two nights. Trying to decide on two nights dinner, one casual and fun, one fancier and romantic. Any thoughts would be great to ehlp me narrow down...

Casual ideas:

O'Grady's, Mitchell' s or Mannion's

Fancy ideas:

Renvyle House, Bllynahinch or Ardagh

Thanks!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clifden eating

We recently ate in King's - which is a pub and restaurant - bar menu downstairs and restaurant upstairs (both casual). My meal was good (smoked salmon and crab salad) while my partner had a chicken dish that was pretty awful - very dry and tasteless.

Overall, we probably wouldn't go back - haven't eaten in the places you mentioned so can't add anything there....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clifden eating

Thanks Real Bandit!! Advice noted...!

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clifden eating

For a Romantic Meal, I think the Abbeyglen Castle is probably the best palce in Clifden. I have not been but friends of mine recommend it highly. It is in the town.

Renvyle and Ballinahinch are both quite some distance from Clifden, at least 20 miles in the case of Renvyle, although they would both be excellent choices. I know very little of Ardagh, but it is only a few miles from Clifden.

For your casual dinners, just take walk around. there are at least 20 restaurants on the two main streets, and you should just take what interests you and looks good value

Enjoy your trip

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clifden eating

I second the Abbeyglen Hotel. I stayed there some years ago and the food was VERY good.

As Oranman says, both Renvyle and Ballynahinch are a bit of a drive and these choices would also mean that the driver could not have a drink or that you would have to take a taxi.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clifden eating

So we could walk to the Abbeyglen then?? That sounds tempting. And like I should probably make a reservation early for a Friday night...?

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clifden eating

You can walk, I think it is only about 10 minutes downhill from the centre of town.

You can get the number for booking on http://www.abbeyglen.ie

Hope you enjoy yourselves

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clifden eating

Sounds great. Thanks for the idea!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clifden eating

As far as I remember the Abbeyglen Hotel is up a little hill from town not down... Doesn't really matter since it will be up a hill on one way and down a hill the other way!

Oranmore, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Clifden eating

Mitchell's is great but you need to book.Very popular place and great food and service. It's a must

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clifden eating

Thanks for all the help guys. I just need to decide between Off the Square or Mitchell's the first night. And then I think it's Abbeyglen the second. That place looks really neat. And I don't usually use that word, but it does. Up, or down, the hill I go!!

Get answers to your questions about Clifden