We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Ireland, any tips?

Urbana, IL
7 posts
Save Topic
First time to Ireland, any tips?

My husband and I are going to Ireland for the first time.

We're flying into Shannon September 19 and leaving September 26. We're staying in Ennis.

We're going to rent a car but I am having trouble deciding on a company. I don't have a world mastercard so I will have to buy the CDW and we have to get an automatic cause we can't drive manual. Needless to say it's going to be expensive but I feel that for us, this would be best. We enjoy the freedom of being able to come and go as we please. So any hints on where to find the best price would be much appreciated. Also info on parking situations in Ireland would be most welcomed.

As far as sight seeing, I have some basic ideas of what we want to see, like the usual: Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, Aillwee Cave and hopefully we can see the Aran Islands. My husband wants a day to go to the Guiness Brewery in Dublin. But I haven't ironed out what to see or what order of importance.

Basically I am looking for any suggestions of must see sites. Other than Dublin I think we want to stay on the southwest side of Ireland for the most part. I think there is enough to see here without traveling too far to see things. I think....

Also, any comments on items to bring? I hear layers is good but should we invest on better water resistant shoes? That sounds like weird question but we are sneaker people.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time to Ireland, any tips?

Ennis to Galway by Bus just over an hour,Galway to Dublin 3 1/2 hrs bus or 2 1/2 hrs train. To be honest I would drive across its fairly straightforward and you can chose your own route and times.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First time to Ireland, any tips?

You can go from Ennis all the way to Dublin by train, changing at Limerick (and also Limerick Junction for some services). The journey takes just over 3 hours. The first train on a weekday leaves Ennis at 0645 and arrives in Dublin at 0955. The last train that connects with the Ennis train leaves Dublin at 1705.

www.irishrail.ie

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time to Ireland, any tips?

we were in ireland for 10 days back in may. Defanatly rent a car, the driving is hairey at times but well worth it. we used www.budget.ie, best rate we could find, and we had no issues.

Don't waist your time with the Guiness Brewery, I love guiness and was very excited for this, but was very dissapointed, basically 15eu for a bunch of tv's and fake displays, you do get a pint at the end with a great view of dublin, but not worth it in my books.

Don't do the alwee caves, a rip off, if you can do the dunmore caves, same thing but less busy and less expensive. cliffs of mohr are a MUST. a tip, if you go at the end of the day, they just open up the parking lot and let everyone out for FREE, don't pay before you leave like us and get to the lot with an open gate :) the burren is cool, just drive through yoruself, don't take a tour.

Killkenny city was the highlight of our trip, if you get a chance go there. Westport was also great.

have a good time!!!!!

14. Re: First time to Ireland, any tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 08:17