We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival time at SNN for departure

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield MA
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Arrival time at SNN for departure

Hello,

I will be doing one extra night after a CIE Tour in May. We will be at the Bunratty Castle Hotel and I was wondering how much time I should allot for travel to the aiport and check in.

According the Aer Lingus website, they want a 3 1/2 hour check in for flights to the US. Is this accurrate?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,542 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

3 1/2 hours is about an hour too much in my experience.

Even with the added time to clear US customs/immigration.

Shannon is such a manageable airport. There are rarely security lines of any length. You might spend some time in the check-in line for a bit. And you need to allow about 75 minues before your flight to get through the customs formalities and get to your gate. But otherwise 2 or 2+ hours is a good bet.

Springfield MA
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

IrishFan....thank you very much for the information.

The last time I flew out of Irleand it was from DUB to SNN to BOS (where we had to get off and get back on the plane again). So, I never had the experience of how long to allow to check in at SNN.

This helps me so much!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

Agree. About 2 or 2-1/2 hours is fine for Shannon. It is such a pleasure compared to Dublin Airport.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

I wouldn't cut it as close as 2 hours as the check in queues for the transatlantic flights can be quite long.

You should be ok with 2 and a half, but then again I am one of those people who always arrives at the airport too early:-)

However, it is nicer to be able to relax with a cup of coffee than racing for the customs and immigration pre-clearance.

Allow an extra 15 minutes to get from Bunratty to the airport. If you are going by taxi, it would be a good idea to order it in advance from reception.

Enjoy your trip!

Springfield MA
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

Bannergirl thank you for the information. The hotel offers a free shuttle but it's at either at 7;30 am or 10:30 am. We have a 12:40 pm flight. 7:30 would give us too much time and 10:30 won't give us enough.

I'm going to have to do a taxi and I will make sure we have that in advance.

Thanks again!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

The last time I got to Shannon 2 hours early the ticket counters were not open yet. I had to cool my heels till the employees arrived. It was an early flight back to the US though. As Bannergirl suggested you can always get coffee or a bite to eat...or go shopping if you have time on your hands.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

and Shannon has free WIFI-- should you have to wait. Going through security, I was randomly selected for an extra security check. Very cool and very CSI... with a machine that "sniffed" the special equipment the guard rubbed on things inside my carry on, and on my shoes. Only took about 2 - 3 minutes --if that long

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

If anyone is still interested in flying out of Shannon... I arrived 2 hours prior to flying out and it was just the right amount of time. Just remember if your destination is the USA, you have to go through two screenings of taking your shoes off and putting your carry on items on the conveyor belt to be x-rayed.

Also, any food items in carry on will be confiscated, including tins of mushy peas! You can buy many food items in duty free for the same prices as grocery stores so if you want to bring Taytos or brown bread, buy them at the duty free shop. I packed the mushy peas in my checked bag and did not have problem, but my daughter's friend had hers confiscated a few weeks prior, hence my dilemma of having over weight luggage! Saving grace was travel companion who was underweight!

9. Re: Arrival time at SNN for departure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 10:16