We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodlyn...
6 posts
Save Topic
Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

What is the easiest way from the Dublin Airport to the Bunratty Castle? I've looked into BusEireann - does this take you directly from the airport to the hotel or somewhere in the area? The tickets say from Dublin to Bunratty. I'm very confused. Thanks for any help.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

Hi folks! Would like to ask about this route a bit further, only via rental car. Bought tickets yesterday into Dublin as they were cheaper than flying to Shannon (weird). So I'm renting a car and driving into Bunratty.

Any tips on route from the Dublin airport to Bunratty? I can google map it, but I'm sure there are knowledgeable people here who can tell me a more scenic or fun route.

Thanks in advance!

Holly

Woodlyn...
6 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

ha ha no, i don't own a bank.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

Maria

The one way taxi fare, if the taxi used a meter for this distance, would be about $500. Hence the reference to needing a bank.

To summarise the options you have been given:

1. Bus from Dublin Airport to Limerick (in some instances involding a transfer in central Dublin) and then bus or taxi from Limerick to Bunratty.

2. Bus or taxi to Heuston Station in Dublin, then train to Limerick and finally bus or taxi to Bunratty.

3. Taxi all the way, if you own the bank as already noted.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

HBKreiss

Routes across central Ireland are in general not as scenic as coastal routes. Also, the route from Dublin Airport to Bunratty is almost exclusively on motorway, so you would miss all the towns etc on the way. If you are interested in a more scenic but longer route, you could head west on the M6 out of Dublin, then divert south from Athlone via the monastic site at Clonmacnoise, onwards to Birr and then south again to the M7 at Roscrea or Nenagh. These towns are on the M7, main route to Limerick and Bunratty.

In making this suggestion, the usual caveat of allowing for jet lag applies, particularly if you are not familiar with local rules of the road and driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

When I answered last night I was waiting for a lift to Liverpool airport and robbing the freeboadband from The Alexander Hotel,,, (If they get to read this..it's useless).

You land at about 9 am.. get the 747 bus from outside the Airport to Heuston Station.

dublinbus.ie/en/…

(This takes 1 hour so you would miss the 10 am to Limerick)

From Heuston get the train to Limerick. If you miss the 10am you will get the 11.25 which gets to Limerick at 13;47.

journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en…

The Bus from Limerick to Bunratty is the 343 and getting in before 2pm you would have to wait for the 3pm bus or get a cab from Limerick bus station to Bunratty

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290185006-343.pdf

So It might be worth getting a cab from the Airport to Heuston and from Limerick to Bunratty.

Woodlyn...
6 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

this is extremely helpful. thank you so much. And I don't need to own or rob a bank!!

17. Re: Dublin Airport to Bunratty Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:24