We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly into Shannon--drive to Dingle--where for lunch?

USA-NC
Level Contributor
210 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Fly into Shannon--drive to Dingle--where for lunch?

Hello!

We're flying into Shannon airport, arriving (from past experience), a bit hungry and ready for lunch----on a Sunday! We'll be driving to the Dingle peninsula.

Does anyone have any specific ideas--restaurant AND town for us to stop in for lunch on our way? It doesn't need to be posh....just good.

Seems we had a hard time finding a place on Sunday on our last visit. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fly into Shannon--drive to Dingle--where for lunch?

This is definitely the best way to do it. The conor pass is stunning but after a long flight and long drive it's probably best left till leaving Dingle or as a day trip.

Adare is a wonderul place to grab lunch and spend a couple of hours.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Fly into Shannon--drive to Dingle--where for lunch?

Conor Pass is not something I would attempt when you have just arrived, are tired, not used to traveling on the Irish roads. It can be treacherous. I have driven it many times, and always had to concentrate and be extremely cautious. It is a 2 lane road through the mountains. You will have huge tour buses in the oncoming curving mountain (did I say 2 lane?) road. You have to be well-rested and used to the car you are driving (uphill with a manual shift, on the left side of the road, driver's seat on the right :) I have traveled to Ireland ten times, and lived there for a year. As an American, I can say, don't do it your first day. Do it another day.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 14:49
Mentioned in this post
Conor Pass
Conor Pass
517 Reviews
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,974 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fly into Shannon--drive to Dingle--where for lunch?

Connor Pass is single track for what 200 yards? No tour bus's allowed.. I would agree with sticking to the N86 out of Tralee if Dingle is the absolute compulsion for the first place on the island. But probably too late to make any difference now

And correct my earlier mistake to the N69 past Foynes.

Mentioned in this post
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
14. Re: Fly into Shannon--drive to Dingle--where for lunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:17