We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Chicago route 2013

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,847 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
New Chicago route 2013

United Airlines have declared a new route from Chicago to Shannon for June, July and August 2013

shannonairport.com/gns/about-us/latest-news/…

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Chicago route 2013

That's good news, Tony. Thanks for the link.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Chicago route 2013

Many thanks for the heads up.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Chicago route 2013

They won't stand a chance if Michael O'Leary eventually gets his way and starts to offer €99 seats on transatlantic flights!

independent.ie/business/irish/id-offer-fligh…

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Chicago route 2013

Oh my God LP, I don't think I would manage to cross the Atlantic with hand luggage:-) And God only knows what he would charge us to check in a bag on a long haul flight::-).

I have no problem with Ryanair on short haul flights, but in all honesty, the thought of Michael O'Leary taking over Aer Lingus fills me with dread.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Chicago route 2013

great article tony....i'm going to see about flying in and out of shannon next year with united and hopefully get a good deal because so far the prices are really expensive....

thanks.....

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Chicago route 2013

I am taking advantage of this new route, and flying into Shannon in August, I always used to fly into Shannon from Chicago in the 80's and 90's, then found the route was no longer offered. We had to fly into Dublin, sometimes connecting in London. Glad to have this option again! I hope it lasts!

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
837 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Chicago route 2013

Whoa, good flash, that one! Imagine the impact of e99 winter fare crossing the Atlantic. Many pubs in Ireland would expand their facilities for wide angle peat fireplaces.

A bit encouragingly, it seems when the airline industry establishes an extensive chokehold on pricing, something becomes better positioned to provide alternative relief.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 17:30
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,083 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Chicago route 2013

"Whoa, good flash, that one! Imagine the impact of e99 winter fare crossing the Atlantic"

Not likely on this route, as it's only being run seasonally June-August.

New York
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
837 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Chicago route 2013

Hi IrishFan,

In the article optionally included, the fellow "trying to" one day gain control of Aer Lingus has included that as a stated goal, (an e99 winter crossing of the Atlantic). However, you may well be right in any case, as until it ever surprisingly happened, it's a bit of a pipe dream we can all enjoy only as such.

P.S. Pushing on almost 30,000 comments. Now, that's almost as amazing!

Edited: 19 July 2013, 18:50
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,083 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Chicago route 2013

Sorry, I didn't see response # 3. Well, I may have when it was posted months and months ago, but didn't see it today anyway. :)