We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Avis, Positive!

Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Avis, Positive!

I see a lot of talk about car hire experiences. This was ours.

Just returned from a week in Killarney. We picked up our car at Shannon through Avis. We were able to opt out of insurance with our World MasterCard that we chose because of this benefit.

Not many companies allow this. We had a letter from MasterCard stating we could.

P/U was easy. Desk in airport, car just outside.

When they gave us the description of the car, we made sure to check what damage that was on the paperwork was correct. It was not. We noted the difference and they signed off.

When returned the car and the young man did a quick look. I asked him to sign off that all was good so we would not have surprises. He did. On a recent trip to France we had a bad experience that cost us $$.

The value & experience with Avis was great.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Avis, Positive!

Great to hear you had such a positive experience from AVIS Shannon Airport.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
247 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Avis, Positive!

I had a similar good experience with Avis in Dublin. I opted for the insurance @ $16EUR/day. People were great. Car worked out well, although it had a large dent on the passenger side undercarriage when they gave it to us.

They were fast, efficient, and no worries. I rarely get that when renting a car outside of the US. Usually they feel shady. Maybe when you purchase the insurance instead of using the Gold Visa insurance they feel they already have you over a barrel and don't hassle you for more $$$?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Avis, Positive!

HI lurch1 and emerald1910. Mandy here from Avis Ireland. Really glad to hear everything went well for you and many thanks for sharing your positive comments.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Avis, Positive!

Hi Mandy,

I am renting a car from Avis Shannon Airport next week for one day. I also plan to opt out of the insurance since my Visa card covers me. Do I need a letter to that effect?

Please let me know, so that I can get it!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Avis, Positive!

Hi nath3636,

Mandy here from Avis Ireland. If you have a letter from visa confirming that they cover rentals in Ireland, then there is no problem.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Car Hire Avis, Positive!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 07:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor