We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Eireann around the Southwest

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Keene, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Eireann around the Southwest

We are going to Ireland June of 2014 and want to take the bus around the southwest. Tell me if this seems logical for using bus travel.

Itinerary:

Fly into Shannon, take bus to Kinsale, 3 nights there.

Take bus to Clonakilty, 3 nights there.

Take bus to Kenmare, 4 nights there.

Take bus to Killarney, 4 nights there.

Take bus to Ennis, 2 nights there.

We are renting bikes in Kenmare, and possbily Killarney.

Please, looking for any advice, suggestions, etc. on how to execute trip smoothly.

Thanks

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
755 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bus Eireann around the Southwest

Hi! When you're in Clonakilty you can take a day trip to Baltimore pier by bus (I didn't look at your dates but looking at the mon-fri sch). You could get to Skibb around 11 then head to Baltimore at 13:20. Heading back around 17:20 (times are appx). You could take a taxi out to inchydoney beach if the weather is nice. It is a lot easier to get around by car though.

As long as you're prepared for the long bus journey it's not too bad.... There's wifi on some buses, bring water and a snack. You should have a break when changing buses.

This will be a very relaxing holiday for you in between the bus trips. Lots of walking and outdoor activities you just won't get much sight seeing in without a car.

Have a great trip!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bus Eireann around the Southwest

Checking the journey planner on bus eireann site, the bus from Clonakilty to Kenmare is 3 hrs and 50 minutes. We have spent 3 nites in Kenmare without a car. There is a tour company in Kenmare that does day tours to Beara and ROK ... On certain days of the week.. There are also boat tours and a weekly market....depending which days you are there. We too enjoyed travelling by bus throughout Ireland

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bus Eireann around the Southwest

Not sure when the tours start in Kenmare and when exactly you are there.

www.seafariiireland.com.

www.kenmarecoachandcab.com

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bus Eireann around the Southwest

That journey shows a change in Glenflesk. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd risk that. Even if Killarney adds extra journey time, there are things to do there if the connection is missed. I'm not sure Glenflesk even has shelter, apart from in the petrol station.

My call on this would be to break the journey by taking a few hours to look round either Cork or Killarney.

Keene, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bus Eireann around the Southwest

Blackgreen - I'm not sure which leg of the trip you're referring to. Where is Glenflesk?

I have changed my itinerary to the following as it seemed to make sense with Bus Eireann:

Clonakilty

Cork City

Kenmare

Killarney

Ennis

I bumped out Kinsale because a few people have told me what a pretentious place it is. And, I've never been to Cork City. I think we'll get the really long stretch from Shannon to Clonakilty out of the way first when we have jet lag anyway. We can stop in Cork and walk around for awhile and then get back on the bus and continue on to Clonakilty.

After Clonakilty, we'll bus up to Cork, then to Kenmare, etc.

Any opinions? Welcome as always, Sarah

16. Re: Bus Eireann around the Southwest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:16