We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

roscommon
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

booking tickets going to Canary Island, we booked first name Francis as on Visa card, but when we looked at passport it said Frank. What should we do ?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,622 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

check with your airline! ticket and passport must be in the same name. only they can advise you if it is ok or not. but how has the passport got the abbreviated name? you must apply for one in your given name.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

Perhaps the passport is in the given name, to be fair.

My mother had this problem all her life. Her father registered her with a name that's normally an abbreviation, so her birth certificate and passport were under that name. However, almost without fail, when she completed a form for something or other the person the form went to would change her name to what they thought it should be! She was continuously correcting people so that all her documents would remain the same.

I too think you should call the airline and see what they say OP.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,023 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

Contact the airline and explain the situation. They are likely to be sympathetic and helpful.

Someone I know always uses an unusual abbreviated version of their name. Most people don't know their real name. Once when booking a flight they booked it in the name they normally use, not their passport/birth certificate name e.g. Chel for Rachel. And then realised their mistake before flying. They phoned the airline explaining the situation. The airline were very helpful, changing the name to the passport/birth cert name.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,092 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

I would agree with everyone else - I think you should contact the airline and explain, I can't see you having any problem once you talk to them - as everyone knows Frank is short for Francis. It would be extremely mean of them to penalise you for that type of error.

Relax, ring them tomorrow and look forward to your holidays!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

The very same thing has happened to myself a few times and i never have any bother at check-in.

My passport says Robert and Tickets may be for Bobby, No one has ever said a word.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,982 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

Problem may be on return - they might not appreciate that Frank and Francis are the same abroad. If you are travelling Ryanair then don't expect customer service to be understanding - they'll want their change of name fee! If you don't change then you'll have to put up with the uncertainty - no matter what experience other people have had - on the day it's the individual behind the desk that makes the call, smile sweetly.

7. Re: first name on ticket is Francis, name on passport is Frank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16