We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tetrapod Trackway

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Tetrapod Trackway

HI.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get right up to the fossilized footsteps on Valentia Island. And if so how far away from the car park is it. Thanks so much.

Raina

Australia

9 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

There's a small unpaved carpark and a short but steep walk to the tracks. To be honest I couldn't tell what was a track or just a mark in the rock. It's not much of a tourist attraction although the scenery is worth the trip.

Beijing
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

Hi, just came back from valentia island. The tracks are quite clear and there is a small display explaining and picturing the tracks. You can get to about 2m from the tracks.

Def worth it. Dk.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

Went there last summer and its worth it for the scenery, if not because the tetrapod tracks are all that. The last bit of road leading to the tracks is very narrow; this in itself was an adventure for me! The short hike down to the tracks is pretty steep, but easily doable. They are right on the water and clearly visible. There is also good signage. I loved Valentia Island!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

We were there in May and while there was good explanatory signage at the site of the Tetrapod Trackway, we found the road signage to get there to be non-existant. Be sure you have a map that clearly shows where the Trackway is located.

While we enjoyed our stay in Ballinskelligs and visiting Valentia Island, I don't think the Trackway was all that great.

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

The Tetrapod Trackway is still not signed until you are near the small car park but if you are interested in fossils its a must visit. The tracks are clear and its amazing to imagine this little animal walking along these rocks that at the time were thousands of miles away!

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

Head on the road towards the lighthouse but take a left and before you get to the radio station you will see the nice little car park pn the left. The walk down is great as is the sign about the marks in the rocks. Really good!

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

The way to the trackway is not prominently signposted from portmagee or on Tourist information maps. however the access is good from the carpark and the fact that the footprints of some of the earliest Land animals are just at sea water level makes it easy to vizualise them crawling along a muddy shore.Later discovered trackways elsewhere are mostly far from the water .

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

Was there last year and access is reasonably well marked. Though I can see why the tracks might leave some people cold, I thought the idea of being able to witness tracks made by an animal - our ancestor - 385 million years ago, when Ireland was a flood plain near the equator, absolutely electrifying!

If your footprints from a walk on the beach were fossilized, do you wonder what some creature looking at them in 385 million years might ponder about what made them?

But then I guess it depends on how much imagination you have...

Edited: 28 June 2012, 22:11
Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tetrapod Trackway

Our daughters were the ones who desperately wanted to find this Trackway. It was our purpose in going to Valencia Island. We enjoyed the adventure of trying to find the location (not really that difficult) and couldn't help but imagine that we were standing in the very same spot that some of the first recorded steps on earth were made. The are is beautiful - fun to drive if you can stomach the windy roads - and the farmland near the carpark is breathtaking. There is a nice bit of written history about the trackway on site. As long as you walk easily, this is a wonderfully informative trip.

Reply to: Tetrapod Trackway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valentia Island