We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in March

Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in March

My husband and I will be in Ireland in March and we are finding out this is not the best time to be there. Several different activities we have looked into are not offered in March. We fly into Dublin but will have a car and six days to wander. Any ideas - love the idea of pubs and will do plenty of that, but would also like to do some active things also. Please give us some ideas.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in March

Quite a lot of attractions are open all year round. What have you looked at that is not available? We might be able to offer alternatives. Will you be here around the 17th? There will be a good deal of St Patricks day activity. When you say activities, are you looking for hiking or horseriding etc, or what do you have in mind?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in March

You've posted on the Skibbereen Forum which is a small place in County Cork. We'd suggest reposting on the Ireland Forum where more people are likely to see your request and where you're likely to get more responses.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g186591-i88-Ireland…

When in March will you be arriving and are you planning to spend time in Dublin? 17th March is St. Patrick's Day and the St. Patrick's Festival will run from the 12th March, culminating with the parade and other events on St. Patrick's Day itself. Check out the Top Questions about Dublin section on the right hand side of the Dublin Forum for more information on St. Patrick's day and the festival. There are celebrations all over Ireland on the day itself which is a public holiday.

If you won't be here for St. Patrick's Day, there's still lots to see and do in the capital, as well as the surrounding areas such as County Meath and County Wicklow which you can easily visit as day trips from Dublin. You'll find lots of recommendations and suggestions in the Top Questions about Dublin section, including lists of the best of Dublin's famous traditional pubs.

If you are planning to spend time in Dublin you won't need a car and it will be a major liability for you in the capital (check out the Top Questions about Dublin section for more information as to why this is the case). Public transport and on foot (the city centre is pretty compact) is definitely the way to go. We'd recommend either starting or finishing your trip with a few days in Dublin (it depends on which airport you are planning to fly out of). Either way, it would be a good idea to wait until you are ready to leave to Dublin before picking up your car, or if you plan to spend time in Dublin at the end of your trip, then dropping off your car at Dublin Airport when you return to the city.

Also, what airport will you be flying out of? Flying into Dublin and out of Shannon for instance, will allow you to see more of the country in the short time you have without having to retrace your steps. If you need to fly out of DUB, then this will limit to some extent how far you can go with 6 day to play with.

Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in March

Thanks for your response. I am glad to hear there are things going on. I checked into two different activities one was night time kayaking to seeing the phosperous (spelling?) water and a traditional music pub crawl. They are not offered in March. I began feeling a little disappointed - so I am happy to hear we will be able to find some things. Thanks again - I will keep watching the posts.

Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in March

Thanks for your response. I did take your advice and added my post to the Ireland forum. Great idea!! The package that we purchased includes a rental car. We fly into and out of Dublin. Activities we are looking forward to include - hiking, kayaking, golfing, mass, St Patrick's Day. We are open to cities or small villages.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in March

Are you talking about the Musical Pub Crawl in Dublin? That runs year round so it will be running in March. It's on every night from April to October and then on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights for the rest of the year.

www.discoverdublin.ie/musicalpubcrawl.html

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
187 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland in March

I've been to Ireland in March 3-times now and have always found plenty to do! Drive down thru the Wicklow mountains and visit Glendalough. Even tho the flowers may not be in bloom in Powerscourt, it's still spectacular. The National Irish Stud Farm and Japanese Garden will have plenty of foals skittering around their moms and they're friendly enough to come over for a pat on the head. You can also visit the medieval town of Kilkenny and wander the narrow streets and see the castle. Most of all you should go to the Rock of Cashel. It'll probably be cold and windy, but it may deserted because it's off-season. I've been there in September, too, and even tho the weather was better, it was overrun with tourists and you don't get the same experience. If you head north of Dublin you go to the town of Howth and Newgrange is awesome.

7. Re: Ireland in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2010, 06:19