We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lidl breaks

cork
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lidl breaks

Hi i just want to make it clear i stayed with my daughter 4 weeks ago in the Maritime hotel Bantry. We stayed on a lidl break, we got a beautiful room over looking the sea, and our evening meal was a bit dodgy alright. We could only choose from a very basic evening meal menu. There was only 2 choices on the main course one was vegetarian and the other was sword fish so if you liked a bit of meat forget it. The dessert was nice but we did feel we were being treated differently by the staff. We had booked a table early in the evening to make sure to get one as it was busy with bus tours. We went to dinner at 7.15 as requested by the receptionist and we were shown to a table for two by the window. We were just looking at the menu when the manager a lady asked us to move as another couple had come in to the dining room. I said we had been sitting for 10 mins and she said they had requested that table rather than cause a stir we got up and we were shown to a table for 4 and they removed the excess cutlery. I personally did feel different in the dinding room as a lidl break customer.This i feel is a pity as it is a good deal for people who just want a break away without the major expense and there are plenty of us out there........

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,504 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lidl breaks

I don't think this reflects on Lidl as much as the Hotel. If a table is reserved then it should have a sign on it. I am a reasonable sort of bloke normally but I don't think the price paid should effect the standard of service. Personally I would have told the manager she would have to explain the mix up to the couple who had reserved the table. Naturally for a better choice of menu I could be tempted to move.

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lidl breaks

Hi holyhill,

this also happens when you take a SuperValu break, we were given a different menu on the few occasions we booked with SuperValu . You do feel as if you are being treated differently from the other guests as you can spot the people with the " Cheap " menu. These days now, with the hotels doing offers directly it is not any cheaper if you book through these breaks. You should shop around for a good deal.

regards Deedee

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lidl breaks

your first mistake was thinking that at Lidl break was a bargain - if you shopped around you could have got the same weekend for the same price or cheaper, with a full menu as a full paying guest.

Your second mistake was thinking it was lidl's fault - its not - its up to the hotel to take care of its customers so I would suggest if you have a disagreement with the hotel you should take it up with them.

Or maybe you might have been just expecting five star service on a one star budget?

You should shop around for next time - just because something is offered as a bargain doesn't mean it is.

It's like supervalue giving you a token every time you spend 20 Euro in the shop at christmas - if you fill the book of tokens you get a christmas turkey for half price - might sound nice at the start but when you see the size of the book, you must spend about 600 Euro to get 20 euro off a turkey - is this a deal - no!

same with hotel breaks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lidl breaks

Axa Insurance runs a loyalty scheme which offers similar breaks to the Supervalu scheme at similar prices, the plus being you can access as many of these breaks as you want once you once you are a current Axa customer without having to save any vouchers, stamps etc. as you do with Supervalu. Not sure if you need more than one policy with them to qualify (we have several) but it's worth checking out if you do use Axa.

We've taken advantage of quite a few of the Axa weekend breaks over the past few years (the most recent being in June) in a range of three and four star hotels in locations including Cork, Wexford, Doolin, Achill Island and Kilkenny. In all we've had great rooms and great service, and in each hotel we were given the main hotel table d'hote menu available to all other guests for the dinner which was included in the package. We've also requested particular tables and had no problem in being allocated to them when we did. Good value prices,definitely but absolutely no bargain basement treatment of any kind!

Edited: 21 July 2010, 12:28
cork
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lidl breaks

Hi whales, i never said in my review if you check again, that it was Lidls fault. What i said was the menu was extremely scarce of food on the lidl break option. Also i did say to the manager that we were not pleased at being asked to move, but as it was a break away i certainly didnt want my daughter witnessing a scene, so it was a lot easier to move and at check out make another complaint, which i did. It was dining room was empty so i still did a bargain break and you will not get a 4 star hotel in West Cork for 45euro a night with an evening meal. I know as i have 2 in my family in the Hotel buisness. I did feel we were asked to eat earlier than we wanted to,as we wanted to eat around8.15 or 8.30, but i was told it was not available. The next available time was 9pm which was too late for my daughter. I contacted reception twice during the evening to check and both times was told that was the only time. Between everything we were still in the dining room at at 8.30pm and the the dining room was empty. At 8.45 when we were leaving no one was present in the dining room, so i feel we would have been allowed eat at any time if we were full paying guests....Some one please prove me wrong.......

Edited: 21 July 2010, 17:04
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lidl breaks

We shouldn't belittle people who use the 'cheap breaks' as a means of having a holiday, many people could not afford to take holidays otherwise.

It seems strange to me however that with the present economic climate that hotels wouldn't offer their customers a choice of menu. Afterall stores such as Lidl and Supervalu make a big thing about 'Choice'. I really think that you should write to Lidl and make them aware of the situation.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lidl breaks

According to recent TA reviews for the Maritime Hotel, Bantry, it seems that to some people that the hotel is not all that it presents itself to be, even some of it's website pictures are apparently misleading. Could this just be another four star Fawlty Towers, I wonder!!!

Edited: 21 July 2010, 17:53
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lidl breaks

Any decent hotel will treat all guests the same irrespective of what they are paying for a room. I must say that this has been my experience on the three or four occasions when I have taken Supervalue breaks. I have not tried the Lidl breaks, but it should make no difference. The hotels are not doing us a favour, they are doing the deal because they need to fill the hotels.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lidl breaks

i dont think anyone is belittling lidl or supervalue - merely pointing out that just because it says "offer" does not mean you are getting an offer - if you shop around you can get just as good as a "non offer" these days.

again your problem seems to be with the hotel - not the "lidl break" - so I wouldn't blame lidl for that - I would blame the hotel.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lidl breaks

Have found in these times that you can get better value without these offers if you ring the hotel directly.

Get answers to your questions about Bantry
Recent Conversations