We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cobh

Which Cobh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
cobh

Further to my previous queries, is it possible to hire a car for the day - hopefully in Cobh, but perhaps in Cork? It seems that Cork airport is the only start/finish point - but that may be a bit of a trek from the cruise terminal. I will be arriving on a Sunday!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cobh

Poole,

BabeR has posted on the cork forum the name of a car hire company that has it's depot on centre park road. This is about a 30 min walk from the train station.

It would not be advisable to rent a car from the airport as the collection and deliver back time would eat into most of your free time. The journey time from Cobh to the airport (depending on how you go) could take anyting from 45 minutes (by taxi) to three times that time by publick transport.

Don't hire the car, source more local things to do.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cobh

In the last post, when I said 30 minute walk from the train station, I meant the station at Cork City, not at Cobh

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cobh

Poole I checked your other post and remember you are the gentleman with the 'garden fanatic' wife. (tough break poole).

Do not bother with the car you will have plenty in Cobh, Fota and Cork city in one day, use the train or indeed a taxi.

By the way, if the weather is sunny and dry Cork City on a Sunday is a lovely place to visit. There is a great buzz and sometimes there is a food market at Emmet Place, however many of the smaller shops and the famous English market will be closed. If the weather is miserable, give the city a skip,

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cobh

Thanks to all for the information. I am now very much looking forward to visiting Cobh/Cork!

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cobh

To all those kind people who tried to help me for my visit to Cobh/Cork.

Oh dear! What a let-down! I had such wonderfully high hopes for these two places, and the weather was good as the ship docked in Cobh. Sadly, during the ensuing few hours, which included a gentle walk around Cobh and a visit toCork via the train, I have come away with a lasting impression of dirty streets, beer cans scattered around, unswept gutters, and many buildings in need of a good lick of paint - but pleasant, helpful people. It's not good enough, though.

I am genuinely devastated and very disappointed, but, above all, extremely sad that the first sight of Ireland for so many people should be this.

Sorry, fellows, but I did try!

Poole.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cobh

wow poole, which ireland did you go to?....where was all of this filth?......

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cobh

Sorry for delay.

The rubbish was all just off the main drag, on the way to the Cathedral (St Finbar), and than on the way back towards the railway station. Bad news!

Poole

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cobh

Sorry for delay.

The rubbish was all just off the main drag, on the way to the Cathedral (St Finbar), and then on the way back towards the railway station. Bad news!

Poole

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cobh

i am not a big fan of dublin, as i don't like big cities, but unless you were there during or after a parade, i am surprised to hear this...i have been to both dublin and london and found dublin much cleaner, but i wouldn't criticize either of them for having trash on the roadside anywhere....good grief, with the zillions of folks in both places, and add in the tourists, both of whom would rather throw down their rubbish that take their lazy behinds to a bin, it's no wonder....

but the very fact that you have the nerve to criticize dublin in such a fashion, is appalling.....i find it very clean for a city with almost 2 million folks in it......

nuf said...

salisbury, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cobh

I was in Cork and Cobh - not Dublin. They are different places!

Poole