We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a reservation for dinner?

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Need a reservation for dinner?

We'll be visiting Dublin in September, arriving early-afternoon on a Monday.

Since there will still be several hours of daylight, I hope to take the DART to Howth to walk around and see the cliffs, followed by dinner before returning in the evening.

Are we likely to get a table without booking a reservation? I don't really know what time we'll be eating so a pre-arranged time might be impractical.

We'll be wearing our walking clothes so someplace casual is preferred. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

11 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

It depends on where you expect to eat. If it's a well known restaurant - always book ahead especially if you REALLY want to eat there.

A few things to note. Some restaurants do not open 7 days a week, indeed some only open from Thursday to Sunday

If you haven't booked a table, you might just get in for an early bird. Early bird service stops about 7pm, and most Irish diners prefer to eat after that time, so tables are not as busy at Early Bird time.

The busiest restaurant evenings are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and after that Thursday.

You should know what time you will be eating at, everyone has their preferred dinner time. All you have to do is time your lunch/snacks not to interfere with dining time.

What restaurant had you hoped to dine at? That would help us be more specific about booking or not.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

Thanks!

I am not at all familiar with the area, so I don't have in mind any specific restaurant. I think we'd just like some place casual with local cuisine.

My unfamiliarity is also the reason for the uncertain timing. We have to check into the hotel, then take the Luas and DART to Howth, then some walking and exploring. I just have no idea how long all that will take.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

The immediate Howth harbour area is very small, I mean - VERY small. You're talking 30 minutes max to walk it all not including stops. The King Sitric is the "king" of restaurants there and yes, must be pre booked to be honest. I ate at a very nice Italian restaurant there two years ago, but name escapes me. It had a really nice atmosphere, some of the tables upstairs (actually I think the full restaurant is upstairs) had nice harbour view windows. Food was nice and not at all expensive. I do think you'd have to book that place too though. Give me few mins and I'll get the name.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

Got it ! I ate at Casa Pasta and it is very nice. Here are latest reviews for it. What I liked about it was its informality tripadvisor.ie/…REVIEWS

BTW, when I said Howth immediate area is very small, I meant the village itself and harbour. There is a walk you can do called the Cliff Path Loop and this can take anything from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours depending on speed discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/clif…

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

There is a wide variety of restaurants in Howth. I don't think, on a Monday evening, that you should have too much trouble getting a table without the necessity to pre-book - you will find something, and I wouldn't worry too much about the clothing that you are wearing. Apart from the restaurants already mentioned, you will find a number of restaurants along the quay where the fishing boats tie up - after you come out of Howth DART station, walk to the left and then take the first left and walk down to the end.

Time wise and how long it will take you, is difficult to say. You mention an afternoon flight arrival, so perhaps give yourself two hours, at least, to have hotel check-in completed. You mention that you are taking the LUAS and the DART to Howth. While I don't know where you will be getting the LUAS from, and how long that might take you, but let's say 25/30 minutes, then you will get the DART from Connolly station and it will take about 25 minutes to get to Howth Village (DO NOT GET OFF at Howth Junction station). If you want to get to the cliffs, you should consider getting the #31 bus from Howth DART station, walk the cliffs area and walk back down into Howth - I would give at least two hours for this. Be aware that the last DART from Howth back to the city centre will be around 23.30.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

Sorry, I missed the whole ref to Monday night, which of course makes a big difference when eating out. No doubt restaurant proprietors will be out on the Howth streets begging diners to come and eat on a Monday.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

Thanks, fenlaDublin, what you've said is what I was tentatively planning.

We'll take LUAS from Suir Road to Connolly, then DART to Howth. Then bus 31a to The Summit and walk the loop along the cliffs and then back down to the harbor area. Relax over dinner and then return to the hotel.

I appreciate the details on timing.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

Forgot to include these with my previous post -

www.menupages.ie/Dublin/north_dublin/howth

tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g212088-Howth_Cou…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

and thanks to Bryno too, I guess.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a reservation for dinner?

Yes, of course, sorry if I seemed ungrateful. I did say thanks in post 2 above.

:-)

Reply to: Need a reservation for dinner?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Howth