We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

Shepherd, Michigan
Level Contributor
238 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

We have returned from our trip to Ireland and used Oughterard as our base for the Connemara Regionfor three days/nights. We really enjoyed it there. First of all we stayed at a great B&B (Waterfall Lodge - review already posted), and we liked being around Irish speaking people. We did easy day trips from Oughterard and enjoyed our meals at Breathnach's Pub. We did not fish although the mayflies apparently hatched while we were there. I particularly liked that it felt like a small town even though it had all the amenities that we needed.

The link below is our trip report for one of the days we were there.

fuzzytravel.com/luckygreen/10028-connemara-r…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

....and of course I see that Cavan spelled it correctly first time. Let me guess Cavan - English teacher?

Shepherd, Michigan
Level Contributor
238 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

I didn't know that about the rhododendrons and I thought they were stunning! Here in Michigan we have something called purple loose strife (I think I've got that right). It grows in marshy areas and was another one of those plants that was brought in for gardens. Unfortunately, it chokes out the marshes/wetlands that the little ducks and geese need for survival.

Just when you think you can trust those pretty little plants ... they seek their revenge! (I would expect that from nettles, but rhododendrons?)

Kelly

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

No noooo Bryno, I took my spelling from Google. It came as a surprise to me also that the Rhododendron are an invasive species, introduced into Ireland in earlier centuries and planted then mainly on private estates, but over time became overgrown and leggy. The National Parks and Wildlife Service claim that they are invasive to our native biodiversity and often recommend their removal altogether from woodlands. However in western areas of the country where they grow wild along the hedgerows they seem to me to be very beautiful.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

I was at the Vee area (County Tipp) this morning and the Rhododendron are spectacular!

15. Re: Oughterard as our base - marvelous!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 05:43
Get answers to your questions about Oughterard