We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor

Reading, PA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time visitor

We are planning our first trip to Ireland in June. I was planning 2 nights Dublin, one night Waterford, 2 night Dingle and 2 nights Galway. Questions> should we rent a car or take a train/bus? Or this itinerary too much travel? any other suggestions for a newbie?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor

4 cities in 7 nights would be too much for me, but it's your trip...just remember that a 2 night stay only gives one full day in each place, so every other day is spent packing and unpacking and getting to a new place.

With that in mind I would definitely rent a car if you're going to visit these places in that amount of time.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor

Waterford to Dingle and Dingle to Waterford will be a long drive.

Travelling times are as follows: reference www.aaireland.ie/routes/

Waterford to Dingle

Total time 4:09

Distance: 161.85 miles

Dingle to Galway

Total time: 4:10

Distance: 159.19

Long journeys. You wont have much time for anything.

This may offend people livining in certain areas but for the common itenerary avoid Dublin and Waterford, generally avoid the east coast.

Fly in and out of Shannon preferably especially if you only have 7 nights.

You can travel to Blarney in Cork, over to Kerry up through Limerick, into West Clare(not to be missed) and up to Galway. From there you are only 1 hour from Shannon for a return flight.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor

stella, for only 7 nights i would recommend flying in and out of shannon only because there is so much to see in the southwest and what you have planned now is tons of driving....you will spend more time on the road that you will enjoying things......

you could visit galway, bunratty, limerick, killaloe, dingle, killarney....it wouldn't give you much time in any place but it would be doable without so much transporting yourself from one place to the other.....

you could spend your last day and night in bunratty as it is only 15 minutes from shannon airport and is a lovely way to end a trip....besides the castle and the village, there is the creamery restaurant and durty nellies pub and restaurant, both of which are wonderful....then there is a great shopping area across from the castle for buy all kinds of souvenirs.....

hope this helps some......

Get answers to your questions about Athlone