We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher to Dublin Rest Stop?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher to Dublin Rest Stop?

Hi!

I'm taking a trip to Ireland this fall with some friends from my college days. I'm reviewing my friend's suggestions for places to go and noted that the last full day (Sunday) we're checking out the Cliffs of Moher and driving back to Dublin later that day. Is there a nice spot to get out of the car to take a driving break that anyone would recommend? I was thinking about perhaps stopping at Sean's Bar in Athlone, but am definitely open for suggestions!

Also, prior to that we're in Adare on Friday and Bunratty on Saturday. Looking at the map, would it be better to change Cliffs of Moher to Saturday and Bunratty to Sunday to cut down on the driving time on the last day? Thoughts?

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher to Dublin Rest Stop?

If you are driving from the Cliffs to Galway via the Slab as Athlone would suggest then it's a pretty straight run and the usual stop might be Clonmacnoise or Lockes Distillery.

Why Adare and Bunratty there is less than an hour and Limerick between them why not somewhere other than Bunratty for the Saturday night...I am not a fan of Doolin but that would be better than Bunratty.. There are several places on the coast between Loop head peninsula and the Cliffs which would make for a good Saturday night. depending on your age group. Having Sean's in the mix suggests you might be pub type's so somewhere with more than 2 options would make sense.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher to Dublin Rest Stop?

I don't think we are doing Galway due to lack of time? It's a group of singles in our mid-30s from several dif't states so sharing guidebooks has been interesting.

My friend had suggested the following:

* Fri-Sun: Dublin Sun night: Kilkenny

* Mon: Kilkenny Mon night: Cashel

* Tues: Cashel/Blarney Tues night: Cork

* Weds: Cork Weds night: Killarney

* Thurs: Killarney Thurs night: Killarney

* Fri: Ring of Kerry, Adare Fri night: ??? (I had thought Adare simply b/c it looked like we were smashing a ton in that day between driving and scenery?)

* Sat: Bunratty Sat night: Castle stay at Dromoland

* Sun: Cliffs of Moher Sun night: Dublin for afternoon flights out on Monday

I have noted as I'm trying to look for possible activities that there doesn't seem to be a ton to do in Adare or Bunratty. Looking at our itinerary, are there specific spots that you'd suggest we do instead for the last leg?

Never having been to Ireland before, I want to see as much as possible without being too American and seeing nothing from packing too much in! Ideally, to me, a cool trip means castles, a smattering of fun but not too dry Irish history, scenery, opportunity for a sweets/coffee/drinks midday break to "enjoy the moment", and an evening of checking out the nightlife or hanging at the local pub to then meander back to a unique hotel or B&B.

I have noted for the latter leg, a lot of places mention falcony. That looks interesting. Have you tried it? Fun or overrated?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher to Dublin Rest Stop?

Swap Dromoland for Adare Manor, at least you can escape into the village and grab a cuple of pints with the locals in Auntie Leena's

Do the ring of Kerry or the National park and Muckross maybe the Gap on Thursday, OConnors and Tattler Jacks will give a mix of locals over tourists and good craic. Friday and you must swear not to let anyone know I suggested this, drive round Dingle on the way to Adare.

Saturday night having stayed in AM Friday is free to run up past the Cliffs and Burren to Galway and one of the Latin Quarter places for the night. then take your time back to Dublin on Sunday.

Falconry, try Ailwee Bird of prey centre on the Burren just north from the Cliffs.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 23:08
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher to Dublin Rest Stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Athlone