We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

I think my review of the above speaks for itself ;-))

Bottom line: Miss this at your peril when you are in beautiful County Clare

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g212514-d154…

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

Thanks for that Bryno. I had often wondered what those walks were like.

I go to the Burren on a regular basis as it is my favourite place in the whole world. We usually stop in a different part of the Burren and go for a long walk but have never gone on a guided tour,

That certainly entices me to give it a try though.

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

My husband and I also took this very same walk with Shane when we were in Ballyvaughan recently. The 4-4 1/2 hour walk was super and we learned so much about the Burren. Shane is not only knowledgeable but made the walk fun. We have a much greater appreciation for the area then previously and actually found that we liked this area the most of all the areas that we traversed through in ireland. This walk was one of the highlights of our trip and we highly recommended it to many others after.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

SiniaG, then you'll know all about the 'Ballyvaughan Girls too' !!

Lima, New York
Level Contributor
249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

I noticed that the walks are about 4 1/2 hours. Are they kid friendly? Would you recommend them for a 9 year old boy who loves archeology and geology and mythological stories? We have a whole day planned for the Burren area on our upcoming trip and it would be great if we can take this tour instead of just driving thru! What do you think?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

Thanks Bryno - great report; I have just given it a thumbs up!

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

Hi kbswaiz...I asked my husband what did he think about the walk being kid friendly to a nine yr old boy. We both agreed that it would be. We have grandsons that age and they would have loved it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

Bryno....are you talking about the Ballyvaughan girls who are nowspending their time doing their nails and instead of gathering wood on the mountain as the girls did in the past??? Otherwise, maybe Shane has different stories depending on who is in the group??

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

I would absolutely recommend it for a 9 year old boy with the interests you describe. He will also have to be a good walker (or at least like walking).

Shane makes loads of stops all the way along (at least every 10 mins)

Shane takes school groups all the time so will be well able to handle any questions including those of an inquisitive 9 year old.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

SiniaG, indeed, those hussies doing their nails and whatnot. I wonder if he told you why they collected the cowpats as well!

Ferdia, Thanks for the thumbs up

Lima, New York
Level Contributor
249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burren Hillwalks with Shane Connolly

Awesome thanks all! We will make a reservation with him for sure as soon as we get to Ireland! The Burren is day 2 for us. Can we do the tour and still drive around the other areas of the burren too all in one day? We are staying in Doolin for nights one and two.