We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great base for touring

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Great base for touring

Last weekend eight of us (members of my local art group) spent a really lovely weekend in Killaloe and I am just going to give you the highlights of a very successful and enjoyable trip. ferdia, our Destination Expert for Bunratty, provided me with the websites.

Thursday: Kincora Hall Hotel since the Lakeside Hotel, which had been booked for Friday and Saturday night, could not accommodate us for that particular night (I've posted separate reviews for both hotels). Highlight of the evening: meeting up with oma14, a regular poster on this forum who happened to be in Killaloe at the same time, and beanalainn, Destination Expert for Limerick + hubby, and ferdia + daughter. Wonderful people, great evening. My friends from the art group went into Killaloe and had dinner in Crotty's which they all agreed was very good. Friday: off to Garrykennedy (about 15 km from Killaloe, off the R494 [Nenagh road] – www.garrykennedycottage.com/villageviews.html). On the way there is a beautful viewing point on the R494, don't miss it!), Garrykennedy is a beautful little village right beside Lough Derg and lunch in the garden of Larkin's pub was very nice. The seafood chowder was deemed to very good.

Dromineer (www.shannonsailing.com/html/dromineer.htm) is another lovely, peaceful spot on Lough Derg. Back to Killaloe and dinner at Flanagan's (facing Mollys at the bridge from the Killaloe side it's just a few steps to the left). The food is a bit pricey and the service extremely relaxed (meaning slow) but on the whole it was quite an enjoyable meal.

Saturday: Mountshannon (about 25 km from Killaloe on the Clare side of Lough Derg [www.mountshannon.com/]). This was the other, very special highlight of the weekend. We took the boat from Mountshannon to Holy Island to view the ancient monastic ruins. This particular boat could only accommodate six of us so the skipper asked two of my friends to go back to the parking lot about 200 m from the landing stage on Holy Island where he picked them up and brought them back after our visit. The boat journey from Mountshannon only takes about 10 minutes (very safe and life jackets provided). Holy Island is a very special place and the eight of us had it all to ourselves for one hour (of course you can stay longer than that if you want, yer man will come and collect you whenever....!). It must be one of the most peaceful places in all of Ireland. www.mountshannon.com/holy.html will give you more information and there are leaflets with map and history available at the boat hire place in Mountshannon harbour. You will find explanatory plaques at every structure telling you about the architecture and history. The sun was beaming down on us... the hawthorn was in full bloom...history all around you... what a wonderful place! Thank you so very much, ferdia, for suggesting a trip to Holy Island! The round trip by boat cost 9 Euro per person and it was 9 Euro very well spent.

Afterwards a drive around East Clare. When you think about Clare you think "the Burren". Guys, get yourselves to East Clare. It is beautiful and well off the beaten track. Who'd associate Clare with mountains? We missed a turn in Scarriff and ended up on a back road which took us high up over the valley, one of those fortunate missed turns! The views were just wonderful! Finally got back onto the intended road and stopped beside Doon Lough (on the R462). Another unexpected peaceful, beautiful place. Just wish that those eejits who are able to bring all their stuff for a BBQ would also be able to take the rubbish back with them...!

Killaloe is a very small town and, in my opinion, would not occupy you for more than an afternoon. But it does have St. Flannan's Cathedral (we happened to drop in during Sunday service and the organ music was just wonderful!) and it boasts the only, unique stone with an Ogham/Runic inscription in Ireland and there is a very pleasant walk along the Shannon. You can also do a cruise up the Shannon (www.killaloe.ie/whelans/) which we didn't do (time restraints and the weather had turned).There was a small but really lovely farmer's market on the Sunday morning with lots of organic food and very happy looking plants. Killaloe makes for an absolutely ideal touring base for exploring Limerick, Clare and Tipperary. The consensus between all of us was "We'll come back here, there's so much to see and do". I will keep recommending Killaloe on TA.

Thanks again to ferdia for helping to plan this outing and it was such a joy to meet you, beanalainn and Oma in person (Oma and I had already met here in Leixlip).

I hope this report is going to be of use to any of you planning to be in the Killaloe area in the future.

Soulkite
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Killaloe River Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
St. Flannan's Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites
UL Sport Adventure Centre
Sports Camps & Clinics, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Great base for touring

geranium-7, I am very happy to think that my post reminded you of such happy times.

My friends and I have such lovely memories of a very beautiful place and I am glad that someone else out there has too.

South Lyon, MI
Level Contributor
215 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Great base for touring

Hello Clauds, I am so happy to see a report on East Clare county and your activities from Killaloe.

Our family group will be staying at Clareville House B&B in Tuamgraney for two nights in mid August--which looks like it is North on R463 from Killaloe. Did you go through that town? If so, what did you think? Anything you can remember about it would be helpful. Is it hilly around there too?

So, were are doing the west side of the county for two days and then cutting across the Burren toward Lough Derg for our last 2 nights.

I have a question about Holy Island--since we will have my mother-in-law of 79 years with us, she will want a place to sit if she goes there. What are the facilities like? Would it be better for us to take a boat tour instead so she can be seated alot?

Can't wait to go--just a couple more months now.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Great base for touring

dreams you can all take the boat tour on the spirit of killaloe and see some very beautiful sites and mom can sit inside with a cup of tea or sit outside with a cup of tea....as well as the rest of your group can do the same thing and get some beautiful pics to boot....

and yes, killaloe/ballina are hilly...if you are looking for flat ground for walking in the area, i know bunratty is nice and flat but not sure of anywhere else (that i have been) that is really kind of flat.....

14. Re: Great base for touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Killaloe