We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

There are a group of around 15 of us thinking of heading to Kilkee for New Years Eve. However I have heard very mixed opinions about Kilkee, and basically I have been told that it is quite rough and unfriendly, and that you wouldnt feel safe there!!would that be accurate? as, if its true, I'm thinking about Lahinch, or perhaps somewhere in West Cork, or could anyone recommend anywhere that would be lively for our group of 28-35 year olds!??!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lahinch
Lahinch
County Clare, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

I'm not a Kilkee Expert. I've only ever been there twice and even then only for a short time.

HOWEVER I do know lots of people who spend a lot of time down there and I've never heard of it being rough and unfriendly. And it certainly isn't unsafe!!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

Well, as far as safety, wear good shoes fishing from the rocks and go steady around the cliffs and you should be safe.

I'm sure you didn't mean the people.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

I think Kilkee is fine, particularly off season.

It is a little past its heyday, even the market had a pre recession feel to it - and I would prefer nearby Carrigaholt, but as Bean says, it does not have that reputation...except for the time that I.....:)

http://www.carrigaholt.net/

I would imagine that it would be quiet and civilised for NYE?

(The locals or regular visitors will be a friendly, receptive lot.)

Ballyvaughan (http://www.ballyvaughanireland.com/) is lovely (you can rent a cottage with a nice choice of pubs) but a little more reserved, and yes ....Lahinch, great place.

Had you thought about Doolin?

http://www.doolin-tourism.com/

Very lively, great pubs and all the rest!

It would be a great place to ring in the New Year.

So, yes, Kilkee is fine - but (in my opinion) Lahinch, Ballyvaughan, Doolin and Carrigaholt are all far nicer!

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Lahinch
Lahinch
County Clare, Ireland
Ballyvaughan
Ballyvaughan
The Burren, Ireland
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

Yes - as explorers says, watch out for those rocks:)

ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

thanks for your replies-very helpful!!

ferdia, thanks for all the information, dont think we'd like anywhere very quiet!!we went to Doolin last year for New Years and had a brilliant time, so looking to go somewhere like that again, but dont want to go back to the same place twice!

and explorer, i mean no insult to the people of Kilkee, i was just double checking something i heard, and thankfully the rumour was untrue!!

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

Avaho, it really depends on what you were told about how unsafe it is.

95% of the time Kilkee is as safe as anywhere else. There have been a few ocasions that a certain clan/family decide to travel to Kilkee in hoards of campervans.. And they aint camping.

Last time was only a couple of months ago.. I was told the road out of Kilkee was busy for the whole weekend.

ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

thanks ryano-thats exactly what i was wondering about--from what others have said recently Christmas is fine there, and thats really what I wanted to know. thanks again!!

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

I've been to Kilkee a few times. The summer is crazy mad crowded due to people flocking to their caravan's and holiday homes. My cousins stay there all summer.

I was back this year and visited the last weekend of September and the whole town was dead quiet. I believe the hotel overlooking the bay has also closed its doors due to financial difficulties. There are a few places left, Scott's Bar, for instance but that was closed the day I was there as well.

As far as being safe, I was there two summers ago for the August bank holiday weekend. My sister had her wallet and digital camera stolen the night we went out. She was lucky enough to not have her passport lifted as well since we were scheduled to fly out of Shannon back home to USA the following morning. So beware of sticky fingered friends.

Have fun anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

Just off the phone with my cousin who has a summer holiday home in Kilkee. She said that Kilkee comes alive with lots of entertainment for the New Year's Eve celebrations. Most summer holiday home families travel down to Kilkee to celebrate. Also said that a lot of young people are in the mix as well. Other than New Years, the town is very quiet for the remainder of the winter. Keep it in mind.

10. Re: Would you recommend Kilkee for New Years Eve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2010, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Kilkee
More Kilkee Topics