We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,117 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Apparently a "Couple" of American tourists were so offended by a Mural depicting the man (Galway Council are planning to erect a statue of) they refused to stay in Kilkee.

Future festivals will not be permitted to display the mural of the man, an image which was made a worldwide icon by local artist Jim Fitzpatrick.

Is it just me or are Clare councils totally losing the plot??

clareherald.com/2013/09/che-guevara-mural-in…

37 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Does this mean that 'Evita' won't be playing any time soon in Cultúrlann Sweeney? #bummer

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

It looks like graffiti to me.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Poor old Sé

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

I think the problem is here that you cannot just plonk a mural on a wall without permission. While this one is of some artistic value, it would set a precedent for a free for all.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,719 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

it is making a political statement, so I can see why it could be offensive to some. maybe the "artist" could have painted a mural of the cliffs of moher, or something like that?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Che Guevara is linked to Kilkee, he visited in 1964, his father was a Lynch. The Cliffs of Moher have nothing to do with Kilke. How anyone would find the mural offensive is a mystery. Thin skin.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Funny! I used to have a T-shirt with that picture of Che on it.

As for the US tourists mentioned - maybe they work for Chiquita :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

It looks like graffiti to me too! But I take the point that if there is a Festival, it should be possible to have icons or whatever on display.

A family member of mine is involved with a dramatic society which is not allowed put up posters/banners advertising its shows in its own town/county yet can do so in the neighbouring county!

As for people taking offence at Che or anyone else, thats a matter of taste. If you don't like festival - don't go.

9. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 15:54
Edited: 04 September 2013, 15:54

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Che Guevara.. Offensive??

Somebody or other in America or Ireland is always going to be put off about something other than safely bland which is presented in any public forum of any kind. It's the acceptable price the written word, arts, nations pay for trying to maintain a diverse society with strong rights of free speech. The trick is to weigh the merits or lack thereof involving each protestation or presentation on a case by case basis. Just think of the variation in reactions we get to what's presented here in a positively inclined travel forum . Sometimes, especially politically, "the good guys" just have to lose in the maintenence of free speech..

As many know, there's a excellent book and film of an earlier stage in Guevara's idealistically portrayed early life as a doctor: the Motorcycle Diaries, which comes off quite differently than the more controversial older image portrayed in the Cannes Winner Che. It seems that, particularly among older conservatives, correctly or otherwise, he's often dismissed as simply another in a long heritage of decidedly corrupt Communists about whom many know next to nothing.

I just wonder at the usefulness and distraction involved anywhere in highlighting anyone so clearly engendering of political controversy. Whether of a right or left inclination, the context of a festival or otherwise decidedly tourist environment seems to me a less prudent setting for such circumstances. I also find curious the need for a small number, even here on this forum, demonstrate in resorting to "asocial" reactions when contesting another's output.

In the case of Che who visited and was being remembered in a context of an anniversary of that event, coupled with the fact that it has a decidedly Hispanic cultural emphasis, I would agree this is a specialized environmental circumstance where people in advance have a sense of what easily might be less than surprising if included or acknowledged. I would agree those disinclined would be better served by going elsewhere at such a time.

In conclusion, I believe people should strive to accept anyone who isn't being clearly offensive (or perhaps decidedly lazy but let's not open yet another can of worms just now) here on a travel forum, but even events engineers should be a bit less liberated involving "what's dicey" in a context of broadly inclusive festivals, purely social celebration and the like. The exception for me would be anything highly specific such as this particular Che included circumstance or under a more broadly liberating "arts festival" banner, the very nature of which includes at least some elements challenging and controversial.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 16:09
Reply to: Che Guevara.. Offensive??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kilkee
More Kilkee Topics