We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

americandoofus
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

I will be landing in Ireland on April 15th and will be staying in Bunratty for the first two days. I'm writing off the first day due to jet lag and will probably check out the castle/folk park and take care of a few errands like getting a cell phone. If possible I'd like some suggestions for a relaxed itinerary in this area for day two. I will have a rental car, but I am extremely lazy so anything involving more than 3 hours total drive time is unlikely to be done. Ideas anyone?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

AD. Where are you going after Bunratty? Galway or Kerry? (Not being nosey, but part of your commute that day could tick off some sights.)

americandoofus
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

I'll be staying near Ardfinnan on the 17th and 18th and plan to use that as a base for Cahir, Rock of Cashel and Lismore.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

Americandoofus, on your first day check into your place and maybe go with your idea of the castle and folk park, and take in a few places in the immediate area in the afternoon.`

(Bear in mind the castle must be toured before 16:00)

You could start (just over 5 minutes from Bunratty) with a trip to www.skycourtshannon.com to sort out your phone and O’Brien Shambo or Big Mac requirements.

:)

Then follow a series of roundabouts, until you reach the Drumline roundabout, take the first exit.

(signpost for Ennis/Galway)until you come to a flyover for Dromoland & Quin.

Drive around Dromoland castle’s grounds (again little over 5 minutes from Shannon), maybe stop by for some tea, then get on the round to Quin village, which is about 10 minutes from Dromoland – making sure you do NOT follow the sign for Quin stone.

Make your way to the abbey, and ask the caretaker (closed on Tuesdays, admission is free) for directions to the McNamara tomb (family that built Bunratty, Knappogue & Craggaunowen), make your way past Knappogue, and onto Craggaunowen, as this will give you a bit of a briefing for the Burren’s historical monuments.

Spend your evening in Bunratty, if the banquet is your thing, book sooner than later, and Gallagher’s restaurant & Bunratty manor require reservations.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186595-c51812/County…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g212526-s5/Bunratty:I…

You could start your next day with a trip to the cliffs of Moher, passing the falls in Ennistymon, the seaside town of Lahinch, St Bridget’s well – and factor in maybe 40 minutes here – the journey from Bunratty is also no more than 40 minutes.

Moving past the cliffs prepare for breathtaking views of the Aran islands from your car, after a few minutes you’ll pass the stone cutters kitchen, shortly after this you see a left turn (says Doolin Lodge/cycle sign) take this as a short cut, and for panoramic views into Fisher street in Doolin.

You probably wont have the time to visit the Arans, but they are only a 20 minute ferry ride from here.

Leaving Doolin, take the coast road to Ballyvaughan, beautiful views along the r477. In Ballyvaughan stop by Monks for lunch.

http://www.monks.ie/

You could take a detour here and visit Corcomroe abbey – beautiful spot, or continue back towards Bunratty, through the heart of the Burren taking in Ailwee caves, Caherconnell , Polnabrone dolman, and if your interestd run to sport, consider taking a look at the nearby Michael Cusack centre in Carron.

http://www.michaelcusack.ie/

http://www.burrenpage.com/Poulnabrone.html

This is all very doable, and will have you back in Bunratty for your evening meal and a few pints.

Next day you could stop by Limerick, or alternatively go through Mountshannon and Killaloe for terrific views of Lough Derg.

Coming home from Killarney, consider taking www.shannonferries.com and taking the 17 miles around Loop Head for terrific coastal scenery, and drive home via Leabasheeda and Kildysart for nice Shannon views.

www.westclare.com/loopheadpeninsula.htm

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

ferdia is giving absolutely great advice as usual and I can't add to that. Just wanted to wish you a wonderful time in Ireland. Make sure to post a trip report!

americandoofus
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

Ferdia, you beat any guidebook by a mile! Thanks so much for your effort in preparing that, especially the Shambo tip! I've been obsessed with eating a shamrock shaped sandwich since I heard about them. =) I'm printing out your post and taking it with me on the plane. Can't wait!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

Thanks. Clauds & AD. Hope you have a great time.

Wellington
Level Contributor
112 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

Ferdia is truly an expert. I took her advice and it was spot on.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

Lucky...oh, nothin....!

:)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

There once was a ferdia from Clare,

Of whose gender we weren't aware.

Who is ferdia, what is it?

That all our posters swear by it?

ferdia is a gent. Now there!

Okay, rather weak, I know. But it's late... Apologies to Shakespeare, the inventor of the Limerick, ferdia and, most of all, lucky. I know you can take it. Shakespeare probably couldn't care less.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doofus incoming! First stop Bunratty!

Oh ya, ahem, ya of course, knew that all the time - gulp!