We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

This may seem like a silly question, but we are going to Ireland in about 10 days; and a friend told me his father visited Ireland a few years back, and said that they do not serve "salt" at the restaurants. We Americans, like Ghandi, like our salt, especially our spuds. I've also been told that we're in for a lot of potato dishes, so will some kind soul let me know what's up with this? Don't laugh, in some countries they serve Guinness at room temperature, and that's just not right ....

mdfrodolives@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Redding, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

Hm? Now I have another question: what is "Brown Sauce"? If it's anything like A-1 sauce, I'll pass. But if it's not, let me know.

And thanks for the tip, by the way.

mdfrodolives@gmail.com

Redding, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

To Cavan007 ... I was teasing when I mentioned the temperature of Guinness. Actually 42 degrees (Fahrenheit) is about perfect.

And thanks for the advice.

Michael

mdfrodolives@gmail.com

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,954 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

"To those who merely wanted to poke fun at my question ... perhaps you guys should get out more."

Well YOU'RE the one who first called your question silly, not anyone here! :)

Really, lighten up. If you can't handle a bit of good natured joking I wonder how you'll fare in Ireland!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Redding, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

Irishfan, you made me laugh when I saw your second reply. By the way, every question and reply of mine (except for the "Brown Sauce" issue) was done in jest. Forgive me if you thought I was serious. I'd finish with a really bad "Irish" joke, but I'm afraid I might step off the plane in Dublin and get poked in the Eire ...

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,019 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

I think Brown Sauce is more of a British than an Irish phenomenon. So you shouldn't be losing much sleep over it.

But howzever, you can digest the following information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

Now here is something for you foodie guys visiting Ireland.

How about trying a....... "one and one with curry sauce"??

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

Cavan whats a one on one with Curry?

Nothing rude is it? If it is I wasnt to know right now!!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

I honestly couldn't figure out what the heck to do with the brown sauce. I liked it by itself, but didn't like it on anything. Didn't like it on my food, didn't like it on my chips/fries, didn't like it on anything. What do people typically put it on?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,019 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

Kjjones, I've never actually USED Brown sauce so I can't personally comment.

I've seen people use it like ketchup...

But then I can't speak because (I'm blushing with embarrassment here!!)I am a Salad Cream girl. I like salad cream on lots of things including baked beans, lol!! I even bring salad cream abroad with me when I know I won't be able to buy it there :o)

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: No salt? Tell me it's a lie!

I used to eat Brown sauce when I was working on site on the Fermoy Bypass. Those labourers will eat anything let me tell you.

They used to put brown sauce in their tea. I do not drink tea or coffee so escaped that one but sandwhiches used to be covered in brown sauce.

The only nice sauce in use commerically in Ireland is the Supermacs burger sauce, southwest sauce from Subway and plum sauce from the local chinese.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe