We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bunratty Castle Hotel as base for touring

Which Bunratty hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
2 posts
Save Topic
Bunratty Castle Hotel as base for touring

In June my husband and I will be ending a 10 day CIE tour in Bunratty and we're tacking on an extra 3 nights there. From there, we'd like to visit Limerick, Adare, Ennis and possibly Galway. Is public transportation available or is it best to rent a car? What about hiring a driver to take us around?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,927 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bunratty Castle Hotel as base for touring

If budget permits, I'd be inclined to take a car. There are so many interesting areas off the "bus lanes" in the area that it would be worth your while.

Adare is beautiful. Adare Manor is lovely and the restaurant in Adare Manor Golf Club is fabulous.

Limerick has lots to see (take a look at the FAQs on the Limerick Forum) including The Hunt Museum, Georgian House, Thomond Park Rugby Museum and St. Mary's Anglican Cathedral (1100), The National Water Colour Collection and the National Self Portrait Collection are in the University of Limerick. The University of Limerick is also host to the Living Bridge - Ireland's longest pedestrian bridge, which links Limerick and Clare and crosses two rivers (and is absolutely spectacular!!).

You could also visit the lovely village of Castleconnell or drive further out and see Killaloe-Ballina, take a drive around picturesque Lough Derg (the largest lake in Ireland on the longest river in Ireland and the UK.

In the Clare area you could visit The Burren and the Cliffs of Moher, You could drive down to Killimer and get a ferry across to Tarbert in Co. Kerry, visit the Foynes Flying Boat and Irish Coffee Museum and then drive back towards Adare.

Lots and lots to do. I hope you have a lovely time,

NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bunratty Castle Hotel as base for touring

Thanks for all the info! We love driving off the beaten track and don't mind getting a little lost, although we're a little skeptical about driving on what we consider the "opposite" side of the road, we have decided to rent a car.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,927 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bunratty Castle Hotel as base for touring

Good luck and have a wonderful time.

I'm glad you are getting a car. You should also consider getting a map before you go. www.osi.ie is the Ordnance Survey department and they sell maps on-line. Their road atlas is great www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm…

This will give you an idea of the region and where you can go and what you can do. And googling or asking here, will help you hone in more on what you would like to do.

If you want to explore the area in greater depth, then the Discovery Series maps have greater detail but they cost in the region of €8 or so and don't cover a huge area (they are very detailed).

4. Re: Bunratty Castle Hotel as base for touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 05:18