We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Which Bunratty hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

I have 7 hour layover at Shannon airport en route to London from New York. I am thinking about squeezing in a visit to Bunratty Castle. I plan to take a taxi or bus (if i am lucky enough to catch one) to the castle and take a taxi back. Can anyone tell me if this is feasible? Is 2 hours enough to get through security and immigration at Shannon airport? Is it difficult to get a taxi at the Castle? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

16 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,943 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

You have time.

Exiting Shannon is very easy. It won't take more than an hour. Possibly less.

Then get a cab from Shannon Airport to Bunratty - it is easier given your circumstances - and you can arrange for this taxi to collect you again. There is no taxi rank in Bunratty.

Security and immigration depends on where you are going to. Are you going onwards to the US or are you going to Europe?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,943 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Sorry, just to say that it will take approximately 10 minutes to get from Shannon Airport to Bunratty. And a similar time to return.

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Thank you very much for the info. My flight is from New York. My destination is London. So I will be going from Shannon to London. Will 2 hours be enough for security and immigration?

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Thank you very much for the info. My flight is from New York. My destination is London. So I will be going from Shannon to London. Will 2 hours be enough for security and immigration?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,943 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Give yourself 90 minutes for a London flight - just to be sure, but that's being conservative. You'd probably get away with less!!

Shannon is a LOVELY airport to go through. There are rarely any delays. And the staff are always smiling.

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Great! Can make good use of the 7 hours. Any suggestion for breakfast place around Bunratty? Thanks again.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,943 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

The Oakwood Arms does breakfast and its only a short taxi ride from the Airport. And its on the way to Bunratty, If you get a taxi there, they should be able to call a taxi for you to Bunratty .

www.oakwoodarms.com

I would suggest you contact them before you leave and arrange things. Its a lovely hotel.

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Just adding to the already ample feedback--if only to reassure: absolutely Shannon is marvelously easy to fly in and out of, and you have ample time to visit Bunratty with a 7 hour layover. The advice already given is sound through and through. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Thank you guys for all the good tips, now I know exactly what to do. Trip is tomorrow!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,943 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

The weather will be spectacular - you will see Ireland at its best.

Enjoy.

Reply to: Visiting Bunratty during layover at Shannon airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted