We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a side trip to Birr justified??

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Is a side trip to Birr justified??

We'll be making our way mostly around the perimeter of the country, from Dublin - Kilkenny - Cork - Killarney - Galway - Mayo - Sligo - Donegal - and some route back to Dublin, just to give you an idea. Are the grounds or the telescope at Birr Castle worth diverting to an area we wouldn't otherwise be in? I am a retired engineer, so it sounds interesting, but we will certainly be seeing plenty of other fine things during our trip. I was speculating that if this were "that" special, I would have read about it before during my exhaustive planning (although I certainly was never looking in this area).

What do you think??? Worth the (not insignificant) effort?

Thanks........

11 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,653 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

I think only you can work this one out. You have a huge amount already included.

This is the link to the Birr Castle website http://www.birrcastle.com/

I'm very interested in the Industrial Revolution (there are overlaps with engineering!!). While I enjoyed Birr, I'm far more fascinated by Ironbridge Gorge in the UK. And found the automated packing display in Cadbury World in Birmingham more interesting than the telescope. But that possibly says more about me than anything else!!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

Thanks Bean

We've a month in the country, and have a flexible final 10 days, but would need some motivation to move things around for this. My initial leaning is not. We'd need to swing down this way after County Donegal, a day or two before our Dublin departure. Not exactly on the way.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

I was in Birr yesterday but didn't get to see the Castle/Telescope - its on my list of 'things to do'. I did spot the old railway goods shed - I've an interest in industrial buildings. I was there for some football, two games in fact & we lost both :-(

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,653 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

Why not try to get to see Bushmills Distillery instead and maybe see the nearby Carrickarede Rope Bridge.

Bushmills is less than 2 hours from Letterkenny.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

If you have time to spare on your route to Sligo, then I would suggest that the Arigna mines could be of interest. You will get to see exactly how mining was carried out and experience a tour underground: www.arignaminingexperience.ie

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,686 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

@ Bean A

"found the automated packing display in Cadbury World in Birmingham more interesting than the telescope."

Nothing to do with your interest in all things chocolate of course!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

At Cavan, I agree with you there, Avigna is quite interesting :)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

*That was supposed to say I agree with Cavan, not at Cavan.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

I like reading the responses........we are going to Ireland next August and we are staying in Birr. I would love to hear other suggestions of things not to be missed in Irealnd. I know we will go and see the castle in Birr......any other ideas?

Thanks!!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a side trip to Birr justified??

I spent a lovely week at Birr in May and loved it. I stayed at the private ivy covered cottage within the Birr Castle Demense itself. Where are you staying ??

I loved being in the garden and enjoyed several day trips away; ie Portumna Castle & gardens and the adjacent ruined priory, and the Shannon riverbank park, nearby Kinnity Castle for dinner-drinks-traditional music, horseback riding in the Sleive Bloom Mts, the Bog museum, Tullamore and the Distillary, Athlone and the Viking River Cruise down the Shannon to Clonmacnoise, and another Spa day ( it's a girl thing) at the 4 star hotel-spa, and Lady Rosse now personally greets guests for a tour of Birr Castle on Saturday mornings. There is excellent golf and fishing nearby as well. The Historic Science Center on the Castle grounds focuses on engineering, botany, astronomy ( the giant Telescope ) and photography, all dedicated pursuits of past 19th century Earls and Countesses. During the Famine the Rosses funded many local building projects including parts of the garden Demense. I could have stayed more than a week without getting bored, but that's me. The Demense is a photographers dream come true and I was quite happy to sit by the turf fire in the evening and sip on something special, or walk to the nearby pubs & restaurants, or head over to The Thatch or Dooleys for dinner.

I quite liked that Birr is off the busy Tourist Radar. Not a coach bus in sight !! Any Questions just ask me.

I was in Sunny Heaven !

Cheers,

Sunny

Edited: 19 October 2013, 05:24
Reply to: Is a side trip to Birr justified??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Birr
Recent Conversations
More Birr Topics