We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental on Birr

Cape Elizabeth...
1 post
Save Topic
Car rental on Birr

We are thinking of coming over and Renting a house in Birr for 3-4 weeks. Does it make more sense to rent a car at the airport and keep for the full visit OR somehow get to Birr from the airport and then rent a car locally, as needed? Also, when driving in Ireland for first time, is it easier to drive out of Shannon or Dublin? I would think Shannon would have less traffic to deal with. Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental on Birr

Birr is fairly central to Dublin or Shannon,, I would say Shannon because I am based and don't like DUB. SNN is a far more user friendly introduction to Ireland and driving.

Don't think you will find a hire car in Birr, not from the main players anyway and as the town is not on a frequent bus route (you can get a less frequent service from Dublin) it would probably be better to rent from the airport on arrival.

You will be fine for Shopping there are several shops in town along with 3 main supermarkets, Tesco (where you could pick up one of their cell phones?), Aldi and Supervalue. Fuel is relatively cheap there as well (by Irish prices).

Cape Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental on Birr

Thanks for prompt response.

Cape Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental on Birr

Had another thought later in the evening: on one end of our trip we want to spend about 5 days in Dublin. We don't want to pay for the car rental while there. So picking up the car at Shannon, might not make sense. It might make more sense to fly in/out of Dublin and then take some type of public transportation from Dublin to either Athlone or Birr. There appears to be a car rental chain in Athlone.

Thoughts or comments? A prior message indicates bus service for the area. What about trains from Dublin to Athlone?

Thanks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental on Birr

It is common to pick up at one airport and drop at another.. no extra charge. (using Irish airports not cross border)

Edited: 17 January 2014, 15:57
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental on Birr

Soli

Save yourself hastle. Use Dublin Airport. The hastle of taking public transport to wherever to pick up a vehicle, the time involved etc will more or less waste a day of your holiday.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dublin Airport - an easy airport to navigate. Over 20 million passengers (2013 figures) versus 1.4 million passengers in Shannon (2012 figures) can't be wrong.

dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-…

shannonairport.ie/gns/…traffic-figures.aspx

To put it into perspective, I have just flown home from London. Landed DUB, sitting drinking a cuppa in my own home within 60 minutes of my feet touching Irish soil, having traversed the terminal, queued and cleared through immigration channels, taking shuttle bus to carpark and driving roughly 50km. There's not many international airports where that would happen. Airports can be a hastle - Dublin is by far one of the handier, hastle-free hubs I have ever used.

Similar situation on the outward flight, and have never had any problems with any of the flights/journeys through the airport.

One can't blame those who extoll the virtues of Shannon Airport and the Western Seaboard. However, in your case, (and obviously the 20+ Million who used it last year) - Dublin is the more practical hub for you to use - particularly as you want to either begin or end your journey there.

Either pick up your car and head firstly to Birr, or as an alternative, visit Dublin (no need for a car plus of lots of daytrip options without your own transport), pick up your car, enjoy the midlands and drop off on your return to the airport.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental on Birr

Kearns Transport runs Dublin - Birr www.kearnstransport.com/index.php…

There are regular trains and both Buseireann and CityLink serve Athlone from Dublin

DUB to Birr is just short of 2 hours and has 2 tolls. SNN to Birr is just short of 1 1/2 hours. so neither here nor there.

Enterprise are the only rental company in Athlone, be careful on prices. I used them for cross sea van hire and used to go the long way via Limerick as its a lot cheaper than the Athlone location which I would be passing. Airport car hire gives more choice of companies,

Happy New Year LP ;-)

Reply to: Car rental on Birr
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Birr
Recent Conversations
More Birr Topics