We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Question about Inishowen penninsula

2 posts
Save Topic
Help with Question about Inishowen penninsula

Hi there,

My husband and his two mates are heading to Ballyliffin to play golf for the weekend in the middle of August. I am from Leinster and have no knowledge of the area at all. Does anyone know where the best place, (town, village etc.) to stay would be for craic and a bit of trad music? They are 30 somethings and looking for a bit of craic.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Question about Inishowen penninsula

Ballyliffin and the neighbouring village of Clonmany (about a mile to the south) have between them a few pubs and are fairly lively spots during the summer so you shouldn't have to go too far. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the social scene there to make recommendations regarding traditional music but the Inishowen peninsula is well known for it's musicians so there is likely to be something going on not too far away. It is even nowadays an astonishingly welcoming and friendly place and the locals will be more than happy to offer advice if you ask. The towns of Carndonagh (invariably called Carn by the locals) and Buncrana are respectively about 10 and 17 miles away. Both of those have lively pub scenes and you are sure to find plenty of craic and music in each of them. Derry is about an hour away. If you are flying into Derry airport then you are can avoid the city by following the signs for the Foyle Bridge once you reach the outskirts. That will lead you onto Derry's Culmore Road on the west bank of the city which is the main road to Carndonagh. There is an alternative way to reach Ballyliffin via Derry/Buncrana but I think the former route is marginally preferable. There is a reconstructed famine village near Ballyliffin though I haven't visited it.

Inishowen boasts magnificent beaches, among the best in Ireland, some of which will be on your doorstep.

2. Re: Help with Question about Inishowen penninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Buncrana