We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there

iowa
Level Contributor
81 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Getting there

Daughter coming in on a Tuesday in Oct she needs to get to Burcrana Any clues how to get up there. What are the ages you can rent cars and if so is there a place up there to drop it off. She's 22 .Flying into Shannon.So what are the roads like. I know drive on left side.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there

Ok.

1. Usually they will not hire a car to somebody under the age of 25, but check the individual companies.

2. There are busses but they will take a long time. I checked www.aerarann.com and there is a flight from Shannon to Dublin that arrives in Dublin at 18.15 and another flight that leaves Dublin for Donegal Airport at 19.30 (you will need to check the exact dates).

After that she would need to either consider getting a cab from Donegal Airport to Buncrana or staying overnight and getting a bus next day. I can't find any busses going to Buncrana. The nearest town for Bus Eireann busses is Derry

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there

I don't know whether this is easier:

There are buses from Shannon to Galway, then another bus from Galway to Derry. Or from Limerick there's a bus that connects at Galway with another bus to Derry. . Check www.buseireann.ie timetables 51, 53 and 64

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting there

Derry is connected to Buncrana by frequent buses provided by the local Lough Swilly Bus Company. Timetable available from the link below.

home.clara.net/sjp/nibus/lstt-2006.html

Logistically I think that it may prove difficult to get from Shannon to Buncrana on the same day, by bus. It would probably prove much easier to fly on to Dublin and from there get a connecting flight to City of Derry airport. Both Aer Lingus and Aer Arann have daily flights to Dublin and British Airways fly from Dublin to Derry.

Details of the flights from Dublin to Derry can be located via link available from the following website.

http://www.cityofderryairport.com/

4. Re: Getting there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Buncrana