We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Kent
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

When booking we wre advised our transfer would be by speed boat. Can anyone advise please:- ?

Has anyoneone done this trip by boat - if so whats it like please?

Any idea how much it costs to upgrade to a seaplane transfer? Presuming this is possible??

Thank you

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Hi dippylippy,

I am presuming its centara you have booked as you have posted on the centara forum ?

The speed boat would take 1.5 -2 hours - more like 2 hours and longer in bad weather!

we have only gone by seaplane 30 minutes.

Unless your flight arrives after 3pm I see no reason why you cannot upgrade to a seaplane - Have you asked virgin (stupid question I know) to change your transfers?

Normally the seaplane cost c $300 per person for a return ticket.

never booked with virgin before so cannot give more concrete info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

45 minutes to Meeru was plenty time on the boat for us!

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Seaplane definitely . Around £230 pp return . If you have been priced for a speedboat then thats probably over £100 pp .

Andy

Kent
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Hi all - many thanks for your replies.

Yes it is Centara we are going to - only just booked it - rather hastily! Speedboat transfer was the only thing mentioned. Yes - I will contact Virgin that does seem to be the answer. Our plane lands at 14.45??

The whole trip was booked as part of a package.

Thanks

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

If your plane to male arrives late - you may miss catching the seaplane - they only fly during daylight hours - if this happens you will have to overnight in male - you are not reimbursed for your first night lost on the island and you have to pay for the overnight stay - that is possibly why you have only been given the speedboat option.

I would in that case prefer speedboat so atleast you arrive on the island! difficult.............

sorry should have clearer in my first post !

Edited: 22 September 2011, 13:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

I agree. If it’s the boat or seaplane the next day then swallow the boat.

14.45 is plenty time for the seaplane.

Kent
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Hi - Oh..... thats interesting?? We are travelling with friends - they are on the same flight as us but have not booked with Virgin - they have a seaplane transfer?? As you say - I really would not mind a boat transfer - as long as we get there - we are only staying for 6 nights so really do not want this shortened to 5!

Many thanks for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Hi, I have a flight coming in at 14.35 and a seaplane transfer, the flights go to dusk,,,normally about 5pm and I think the boats go until about 9 pm(although I guess not for a two hour journey). Maybe the boat was cost related in the package rather than necessity. Asking virgin would clear it up. The sea plane is nicer....the boat really is not as much fun as it sounds...diesel fumes, bumpy etc and for me a bit of an endurance test. Daughter got seasick. However if I missed a plane, I would then try to get on a boat rather than stay in male, or even overnight in a closer island. Also remember your virgin rep or the hotel rep will be there to greet you at the airport and advise. If your flight is delayed and you may miss the seaplane, they don't just simply leave:))

Kent
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Froggy - thank you thats very helpful. Just not too sure what to do now - was not given option of plane or boat at time of booking. I'm thinking - will just leave it as it is and see if there is the possiblity of changing to plane on arrival??

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked with Virgin - Boat transfer???

Ooh, doubt you would be able to do that without considerable expense...to be honest though,,,the boat is not that bad, it's not the best, but if it's raining everyone is on a boat anyway, it's all an experience and it's not going to ruin your hols either way....:It's simply a couple of hours either way...and you could spend that waiting for a plane or worrying about delayed flights, at least this way you know you are good))