We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Hi, we're visiting Centara Grand Island Resort and Spa in the month of early September and can see ourselves spending time for activities like snorkelling, basic one discover scuba dive, various excursions like night fishing, whale shark tour, local island discovery abd couple of other water sports. Please suggest if we should (me and my husband take a wet suit or rash vest or dive skin. Is the water plenty warm enough without one? Would like to mention that we are not swimmers!

As it in an ultimate all inclusive resort, We will get complimentary

snorkels & masks. There are some post about sting rays, now bit concerned about bare feet! Should we buy some special footwear?

We are have 3 days with us. I know we will be provided with snorkeling equipment. But do I need something special for discover scuba diving like wet suit/dive skin/rash vest for me  and my husband etc. Of course I m getting spf 50 sunscreen with us. We both have basic swimming costumes with us which can be used for casual swimming in local pools.

Any mosquito repellant creams when going for snorkeling or diving. Any anti allergy tablets etc. Please help!

If someone has made list of things then do mail me as to what is absolutely necessary to bring with us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Hi,,,what do you mean you are not swimmers please? Do you mean you can't swim at all or you are just not very strong swimmers,,,I guess the latter because you talk about " casual swimming" ? If the former it's going to impact your water sport plans somewhat.

Rash vest is always a good idea if snorkelling as is aqua shoes if in the lagoon, in case of sharp coral.

The water is warm all year round,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

To your list I would add:

Something to rinse your ears with to prevent ear infections (I just use drinking water but my husband who suffered from infections snorkels with a special mask covering his ears, plus uses swim ear after rinsing as it helps dry / clean ears).

Sea sickness tablets, if required, for boat trips.

Cover for head or scalp UV spray for snorkelling.

We don't use shoes but look where we put our feet in the shallows, then wear fins as soon as possible. If swimming direct from a water villa, no need to put your feet down at all, as you would swim direct from your steps.

Every resort we ever visited provides free life jackets which could be worn for snorkelling. I have occasionally used them if the sea was a bit rough.

Not really been bothered by mosquitos but some resorts have more than others. Never applied repellent for snorkelling or boat trips.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Thanks froggy and Karla for help! And would like to mention that I don't know how to swim but my husband knows. Can I still do snorkelling and diving? But once I did snorkelling in andamans with a tube....but I am planning to learn swimming before my trip...

Edited: 01 June 2014, 13:39
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Do I need to be good swimmer for enjoying snorkelling? I have booked everything from flights and resorts!!!

Mostly done with shopping part also!!!

Edited: 01 June 2014, 13:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

If you can't swim you can't snorkel or dive. I don't know how you snorkelled with a tube if you can't swim?

You can of course, stand in the lagoon and put your head under water, and walk about, but thats not snorkelling, snorkelling is you are effectively floating with your face in the water, only using your feet to propel you ( usually in fins), your arms at your sides, whilst you look underneath ( in this instance at the coral reef underneath you). . It's simply a physical limitation, if you can't swim, you can't float on water and propel yourself forward, right?

As for the dive, you won't be allowed in open water if you can't swim. That would be far too dangerous. For both you and the instructor. I'm sorry.

You can do every thing else and you can put on a mask and stand or kneel in the shallows and look underwater, but being able to swim is a basic physical requirement for both snorkelling and diving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Here is a video on how to snorkel which may help.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzXYJAe5yU

Karnal, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Thanks a lot!! I ll definitely learn swimming before my trip. I have 3 months with me....and the dive school recommended PADI discover scuba diving for begginers but I didn't mention that I m not a swimmer!

Edited: 01 June 2014, 15:25
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

You can't dive if cant swim. And u really need to be able to swim to snorkel unless u want to drown and/or damage coral and endanger other people's lives. If u can't swim then stick to paddling in he lagoon

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Yes, learning to swim is absolutely the answer, it's a really important life skill and you will have a so much better holiday if you can swim. You will miss out on so much underwater life otherwise. Good luck.:-))

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to bring to enjoy water activities to the max?

Guys....started swimming lessons and now floating on water ....I guess first step to swimming!!!

Get answers to your questions about Centara Grand Island