We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White sand?

StL
Level Contributor
72 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
White sand?

Just curious if the sand in TI is as white as the beaches near Destin?

We are planning our family vacation & we love beautiful, white sand beaches. We've always vacationed in FL & are looking to try something new this summer. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White sand?

I've never been to Destin but I can attest to the fact that Topsail Island has beautiful soft white sand beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
StL
Level Contributor
72 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White sand?

Thanks! That's what we were hoping for! :)

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: White sand?

I have been to Destin, and I don't think the sand is near as white on the NC/SC beaches as at the Florida panhandle. However, NC beaches are much flatter and wider than Panhandle beaches...great for walking. To be honest, I've never been to Topsail, but have been to Wrightsville, Figure Eight, Carolina Beach, Holden Beach, Sunset Beach, and Myrtle beach.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Holden Beach
Holden Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White sand?

The beaches will not be as white as what you are used to on the Gulf Coast... Topsail is a wonderful beach!! There are parts where they have had some erosion where there's not much beach, but they are in process of beach renourishment on parts of the island.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White sand?

Beautiful beaches! Wide and plenty of beach and soft nice sand since the new beach nourishment!

NC
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White sand?

The sand on the NC beaches is not at all like the sand on the gulf beaches or panhandle beaches in FL or like in the Caribbean. (Been to many, many Caribbean islands and all over FL).

The sand in these places are soft, white, powdery sand. The sand on our NC beaches is not like this. Some spots, yes, but not all over like FL beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White sand?

Gulf coast sand is quartz. NC Atlantic Ocean sand is crushed shells.

8. Re: White sand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Island