We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?

London,UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?

Going to be in Chile mid-April till early May, and more-or-less given up on the idea of seeing Salar di Uyuni on a trip from San Pedro (because of time, and the difficulty of finding a reliable tour company whose drivers don't get drunk or have fatal collisions...). We are considering seeing Salar Coipasa instead, but the only accommodation option seems to be Hotel Isluga in Colchane. Trying to get information on local guides(?), and whether Salar de Urire is a realistic day-trip from Colchane. What are the roads like? (would be in a rented 4wd) The web seems to be pretty much a black hole on this area of Chile/Bolivia. Any advice welcome!

4 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?

Do you mean the Salar de Surire?

London,UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?

No, I definitely mean Salar Coipasa in Bolivia - just over the border from Colchane. Any help appreciated!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?

The first thought which occurs to me is that you will not be able to rent a vehicle in Chile to take into Bolivia. It is the #1 destination for vehicles stolen in Chile, especially 4X4s, and I don't think any company will want one of their vehicles crossing that border. You can access that salar from within Bolivia more easily.

You have Salar de Urire in your original post, hence Toid's question. I know there are tours of Surire from Arica, which are usually 3 day/2 night tours (overnght Putre) but not Colchane, although there might be from Putre. Try searching Putre/Surire.

London,UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?

Thanks. Was starting to incline to an organised tour to Surire from Arica, and your comments reinforce that...

Reply to: Best way to see Salar Coipasa from Chile?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colchane