We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

We will be flying into Dublin from US on 8/19 (7am arrival) and driving directly to Doolin (looping back to Dublin for the end of our trip).

Upon arrival in Doolin, we planned to relax, go to a pub, hear some music, and spend the night at Doolin Activity Lodge. On the morning of 8/20 we planned to do a boat tour of the Cliffs of Moher and then head on to Dingle, where we have reservations at Castlewood House for the night of 8/20.

There is a glitch in our plans, however... we went to book the noon sailing on Doolin2Aran ferries and were bumped to 3pm due to tidal patterns. So, I am assuming that there is no noon sailing.

So, my question is- is it advisable to take the 3pm tour, which is supposed to last an hour, and then headed on the road to Dingle? Or is this too late to be heading on the road for that journey? Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated. We were looking forward to seeing the cliffs by boat and would hate to miss out.

Thanks for your help!

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

Hi - taking the 3pm probably means you are getting on the road at 5pm for Dingle. From Doolin, that's got to be over 4 hours. I wouldn't do it, unless conditions are perfect and you are well rested. You will be driving some pretty scary roads (mountains/cliffs). You will also probably want to take a break along the way. You will need to get an earlier start, I'm afraid. The good news is that Castlewood is a fantastic B&B, so you have a perfect ending to the long day's journey.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

Obviously you have a plan in mind at this stage, but if you have to replan I'd seriously consider spending some time in Dublin in the first instance rather than driving off to the West after 2 or 3 hours sleep on a plane, as this seems as inadvisable as driving to Dingle in the evening.

NJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

thanks for your help and concern. one member of our party will be arriving to dublin the day before us, so he should be well rested for the drive to doolin. and we were able to change our boat tour to 5:30pm the on the evening of the 19th, which will allow us to head out early and at a leisurely pace to dingle on the 20th.

can't wait!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

Sending someone in advance is a great idea, everyone should do it. Be sure to use the Killimer-Tarbert ferry to reach Kerry from Doolin, unless you especially want to go to Limerick.

co. clare
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

I think that you are right, seeing the Cliffs from the sea is well worth the time and effort, that said, I would not head out to Dingle that late in the afternoon. Even though there is still light in the evenings, the roads between Doolin and Dingle are narrow and rural and not as straightforward as the map might make it look. You might find that one of the other ferry companies will be running trips to the cliffs at a time that better suits your schedule, one of the other companies uses smaller boats to ferry the passengers to the ferry (it makes sense when you see it happening). I hope your enjoy your trip to Doolin, it is a magical place.

6. Re: Late day travel Doolin to Dingle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 06:18