We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Doolin in July

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Doolin in July

We plan to be there mid July. Are the crowds and tourists overwhelming in the town of Doolin at that time? Should we stay in a town nearby, instead of Doolin?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

Yes Layla, expect quite a few people.

Lahinch is another alternative nearby; it will still be busy but as its a more tradtional town set up- i.e it has more facilities.

Doolin is a tiny place and not configured like a tradtional village.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

doolin is a tourist mecca - and the place as ferdia said is tiny - surrounded by tons of b and b's and tour buses.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

If you are staying a week can I recommend Quilty Cottages. if its just a couple of days I would say Lisdoonvarna as it is really handy for Doolin which can get busy any-time.

http://www.quiltycottages.com/

http://www.tourclare.com/lisdoonvarna.html

Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

Hi Layla

It really depends what you are looking for. There are approx 30 B&Bs in Doolin, some are in the village, but some are located in more isolated spots, such as Lough (nearer the Cliffs of Moher) or out towards Fanore.

It might be nice to be close enough to experience all the attractions, such as Doolin Cave, ferries to the Aran Islands or cruises to the Cliffs, horse riding, etc but far enough away in the evening if you prefer a quieter location. The ferries to the islands tend to leave around 10am and passengers must be on the pier 30 minutes before, so it can be handy to be close by the night before.

The Doolin Tourism site might help you decide: http://www.doolin-tourism.com/

Hope this helps!

Regards

Joan Reilly

Edited: 20 April 2010, 12:27
co. clare
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

I live in and own a business in Doolin and I can assure you, it is a traditional Irish village, with the basic layout of the village unchanged in many years. The only additions have been a few hotels. Yes, Doolin is a tourist hot spot, but for all the right reasons--the local people are friendly, the B and B's are great and the music, well, it speaks for itself. As for the buses, they arrive for the lunches at the pubs, but now mostly stay up at Hotel Doolin and well out of the village itself, by evening, the buses are gone. The pubs can get a bit crowded at night, especially once the music starts at 9:30, but again, the people are friendly and if you are open to having a few conversations with locals, this will be the place to do it. Doolin also makes for a great "jumping off point" to see the area. You can roam up and down the coastline of Clare, take a ferry to the Aran Islands, explore the wonders of the Burren, and still be back in Doolin to freshen up, have a bite to eat and catch some trad. music at one of the pubs. As I read this, I know that I sound like I am just very proud of my village, but my experience comes from being a tourist in Doolin for many years before taking the plunge and moving here.

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

The question posed is 'are the crowds and tourists overwhelming in the town of Doolin at that time?' (mid July) and of course they are not. I am disappointed that some people would suggest Lahinch, Quilty, etc. Nothing wrong with these places at all, far from it, but the question is about Doolin. It is a small but not tiny village with absolutely everything the tourist might need, great pubs with music and delicious food, music shops, cafes, reataurants, B/Bs, tourist hostels, hotels, camp sites, pitch'n'putt, Doolin Cave, exceptional walks and historic sites, etc. etc. Please come and enjoy the hospitality, you won't want to leave.

7. Re: Staying in Doolin in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 07:17