We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

I keep hearing wonderful compliments of Pat Sweeney's walk tour to Cliffs of Moher. Could someone tell me how I contact Pat Sweeney to do one of her guided walks? Also...Where does she START her walk FROM? And Cost per person? Is it possible to do the walk WITHOUT Pat for free?

24 replies to this topic
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

I am very interested in this walk with Pat Sweeney. After reading this forum I understand it takes 3 (-4) hours, but I'm wondering how much time to budget to spend at the Cliffs and to get back to Doolin via bus. Can anyone who has actually walked this tour tell me how much time for the walk (3-4 hours for 8 km seems long), how much time to spend at the Cliffs themselves, and how much time for the bus back to Doolin? It sounds so fabulous, I just don't know if I have 6 or more hours for this although I am considering changing my itinerary to do this. Thanks!!

Sligo, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

Pat is an energetic man and very committed to his home place and it's future. He gives far more info re his own family and the part he personally played in setting up the cliff walk than info on the Geology, Flora and Fauna of the area. He refers repeatedly to his childhood and family practices and his meetings with the local Council in the planning of the path. His style is warm and friendly and from his stories about himself, he appears to be heavily involved in a multitude of community activities.

However, he engaged in conversation with several members at the front of his group today and moved with them at a fast pace and the large group became strung out over approx half a kilometre . When it was brought to his attention that the main body of his group was out of sight back down the trail, he did stop and waited until they came into sight but he was not aware of the total number in the group and he would have benefited from having a "back marker" as he had taken the booking for a large group in advance.

Pats tour will chiefly be of interest to visiting tourists, particularly Americans as much of the content is about himself and his family and family customs of the past and many of them may have Irish roots.

The cliff walk from Doolin is well signposted and is very easy to negotiate without a guide.It is a gravel path for the most part and runners/trainers or walking shoes are ideal footwear. An average level of fitness is required.There are some steeper parts along the path and, although walkers who use walking poles may be pleased to have them, they are not at all essential. 3 hours will comfortably get the walker to the Centre at the cliffs of Moher where there is a cafe, toilets etc. Prior contact and an arrangement with a taxi from Doolin will mean that the walk is one way...otherwise the walk back will take less than 3 hours as it is predominantly downhill

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

Meg

Since the return is down hill would it not work to take the taxi initially to cliffs of Moher and do the walk back? Or would the scenery be any better out bound direction vrs the return? Or park the rental car there, do the walk toward Doolin then take a taxi back to the car? It seems there is also a shuttle bus from Doolin Hostel to CoM? Just exploring all the options!

Rvflyer

Edited: 29 June 2014, 23:18
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,806 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

..... and all that for a fiver! Good man Pat. You're on my to-do list.

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

3 hours? I was told that it would only be 2 hours??? My kiddos are there and plan on taking the walk. They were hoping to get a taxi back to catch a 1:00 ferry. Is this doable? Or not enough time to do both in one day? They are only in Doolin for 24 hours and were hoping to cram it all in. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hay, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

We did the walk today with Pat Sweeney to the Cliffs of Moher and thoroughly enjoyed it. The walk takes about 3 hours and Pat tells you lots of interesting stories and information along the way. He was the main drive behind the start of the sea cliff walking trail which is a great tourist attraction for the town of Doolan. Pat is very passionate about this, and there will be lots of long term benefits for his town. We were very fortunate to have a fantastic day weather wise which made the walk even more special. You really should do yourself a favour and do this walk with Pat when in Doolan.

Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

Like many Tripadvisor travellers we are also interested in doing this walk with Pat

PLEASE ADVISE re the 'exposure' and 'danger' along the path, as my wife doesn't like heights...but as long as there are fences or away from absolute cliff edges she should be fine

Thanks for any responses

B T

Boyds, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

I am an artist/instructor. Every year I bring my group to take this tour. The groups is of all ages, young people and retired older folks. This walk is very doable for all ages as long as you are able to walk Pat takes it easy and stops at several stops to talk and you can relax and catch your breath. Toward the end of the walk it does get steeper and for me, it was a little hard, but that is because I am not in great shape, but I took my time an made it up the hill just fine. To listen to this man who loves talking so much about the history and the his family who has lived in this area for generations is such a special priviledge. The scenes along the way are so magnificent and Pat explains the significance of all. As you get closer and closer to the cliffs the scenery is very dramatic. This tour is not to be missed and I highly recommend it to all ages. Jeanean Martin

1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

Meet across the street from O'Connor's Pub around 9:45 am for the 1o am walk (there's a large enough sign with his pic on it, hard to miss).

5 Euros per person

possible to do it on your own but you'd be trespassing as trail goes over 39 different landowners (farmers).

Boyds, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney

Not True! The walk trail is open to all, there is no trespassing! Pat has worked out the permissions years ago.

Reply to: Cliffs of Moher Walk with Pat Sweeney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted