We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Races transport

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Galway Races transport

I will be in Doolin at the end of July, and I would like to spend a day at the Galway Races. I would prefer not to drive in and around Galway, so my question is whether it is possible to drive part of the way and to catch a bus to get to the race course? I understand there are shuttle buses from Galway city centre to the race course, but I'm hoping for something a little closer to County Clare that will get me there and return. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Amberg, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Races transport

You might try getting a hold of Tony McGann.

Phone : +353(0)65 7074790

Mobile :+353 (0)87 2422950

email : tonyscabdoolin@eircom.net

http://homepage.eircom.net/~tonyscabdoolin/

My wife and I just got back from a 3 day trip to Doolin and Tony was awesome. He was recommended to me by the B&B I stayed at after I enquired about deciding not to rent a car. He's hilarious.

Michael

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Races transport

I wouldn't recommend hiring a driver for that journey. It can be bumper to bumper in Galway during race week. You could drive to Gort from Doolin and get the train or bus into Galway city centre, From here, you can get one of the plentiful shuttle buses out to the racecourse ( @2.5 miles)

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Races transport

Also, there are public buses running from Doolin but Gort would give you more options for your return. Its about 30 miles from Doolin to Gort ( across the Burren ) and would probably take you 45/50 minutes to drive.

Ireland
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Races transport

There are currently €5.99 single (one-way) fares on the Gort-Galway train. Last train from Galway to Gort is at 18.40hrs.

www.irishrail.ie

Hope you have an enjoyable time.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway Races transport

Just to clarify the above, Irish Rail put on late trains for race week in Galway ( time depending on whether it is an afternoon or evening race meet)

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway Races transport

Thank you one and all for the responses! The information is very helpful.

7. Re: Galway Races transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:15