We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

I hear that the beach in Selong Belanak is white-sand beautiful but is it appropriate for swimming? I read about surfing so I assume strong waves and wind. The place I am contemplating does not have a pool so that's a significant factor for us. Should I consider Kuta instead? I am not sure if the beach is as nice.

Also, any decent restaurants around? I read that Kuta is a bumpy long ride away?

Also: any accommodation recommendation welcome in (or arround) Selong Belanak of a decent calibre. one of the TA members recommended a great place but it's booked.

Thanks!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Hi spartac Selong Belanak is a beautiful beach which is mainly used for learning to surf. You can also swim here if you'd like just be wary of learning surfers and the pounding waves. Kuta is also beautiful for swimming as it is much calmer then Selong Belanak. At low tide the beach extends pretty far out which you can further explore.

Consider checking Tanjung Ann just next to Kuta beach it's also a nice beach with no waves. There is a great warung here called Warung Turtle where you can eat delicious Indonesian cuisine. The journey is not as bumpy as you'd think but there are alot of hills & the road is windy. Keep an eye out for local wildlife & locals here.

Have a look at Sempiak Villas, they also have a great restaurant Laut Biru Cafe not far from the beach:

www.sempiakvillas.com/home.php

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Thanks for the detailed response. Sempiak Villa was the villa is the place that was suggested by one of the experts but that is booked for my dates.

I checked Tanjung Aan. Beautiful! Any hotels nearby? Can we rent umbrellas for the day there?

I am reconsidering the Novotel in Kuta, despite not so good comments. How's the beach there? is it a good stretch of beach. I also have the option of Kies Villas.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Selong Belanak is not really developed as yet so still very limited accommodation and dining options. Watch it over the next 2-3 years, I expect to see more villas and warungs coming along.

The beach is really nice. Good for body surfing or learning to surf. The waves are not usually very big.

Tanjung Aan is one of my favorites, as is warung turtle. No umbrella rental there, but if you eat at warung turtle, they have sunbeds and shaded tables available for your use. Unfortunately the road to Tanjung Aan has deteriorated badly in the last couple of years, it is still passable, but very bumpy and in some places the tarmac is completely gone. Still worth the trip though!

The beach at Novotel Kuta is also quite nice.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

We stayed at Selong Belanak recently at a private villa called Villa Atas, which is located above the Sempiak Villas complex. It is run separately and is high up the hill with its own pool and fabulous views. Highly recommended! See info at:

http://villaataslombok.com/

and

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p3644342

I have been too slack to write a review yet, but honestly one of the most beautiful spots in the world.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

@spartac - Have a look at Mimpi Manis homestay in Kuta, if you stay 3 days you'll get a tour of the south coast which will help you on your bearings.

www.mimpimanis.com/

Auckland
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Pity Sempiak booked - this is a great small hotel & with a huge beach perfect for swimming.

Main beach at Kuta reminded me of our garbage dump - Except our garbage dump is cleaner!

However, Novotel Kuta is out of town with own beach. This is clean, relatively free of hawkers & great for swimming. I thought Novotel a very good experience if within your budget.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Kuta Beach is not great. Back at the end of October/beginning of November last year the government came and bulldozed all the warungs and shacks on the beach. Most of the rubble was removed afterwards but unfortunately not all. But then Kuta has never been the best beach in the area, more the place to base yourself for visits to the beaches to the east and West. The far western end of Tanjung Aan, at Warung Turtle is my own favourite spot. There are a few more little secluded beaches that you can reach from there taking the path over the hill too. Serenting is also a nice beach though it is very flat so not good for swimming at low tide. And Serenting can be reached on foot from Novotel, taking the little bridge from the beach. Note though for some reason someone has put a sign up at Serenting calling it Seger 1 beach. Seger is in fact the next beach along.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

All,

Thanks for the responses. TA didn't notify me that I had more answers so didn't see them until now. Villas atlas looks AMAZING but unfortunately it's fully booked. And we're looking at something more upscale than Mimpimanis. Plus I keep reading comments about garbage on Kuta and Tanjung Aan.

So to be honest I'm a bit lost. Either I stick with the Kuta region, and at this point it sounds like Novotel is the only option (or anything else?). But not sure what I am getting there that I won't get elsewhere in Lombok or even Bali. Alretanively I go with somewhere else in Lombok (I have booked cancelable Tugu and quici villas) OR I just skip Lombok.

I really would need a piece of advice. I'm less than 4 weeks away from departure and quite lost regarding Lombok.

Thanks Guys!

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

I go to Warung Turtle on Tanjung Aan, they have sunbeds and umbrellas and sweep the beach in front.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 03:23
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Kuta and Selong Belanak

Unfortunately the best places book out, so unless you book well ahead your choices are limited. There are some private villas now in the Kuta area, perhaps check those out on flip key. I think it would be a shame to skip Lombok because you are unsure where to stay. Both Tugu and especially Qunci are fabulous hotels and worth staying at. I'm not sure what you've read about rubbish. At certain times of the year, mainly in the rainy season, you will see rubbish in the water and on the beaches just about anywhere in SE Asia. This is from rubbish being washed into the ocean from streams and rivers with the rains.

I come from a place with pristine water and beaches so am quite fussy about how clean the beach is, and honestly South Lombok is fine other than in the middle of the wet season. You are not there in wet season so should not be a problem

Get answers to your questions about Kuta