We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear watch Kodiak in September?

Taby, Sweden
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bear watch Kodiak in September?

We (two guys) plan to go to Alaska in first half of September this year. Want to see the big brown bears eatingg salmon ... where is the right spot to be? Unfortunately, we can not make it in Juneor July, possibly could take last week in August and first week in Sptember. Thought about Kodiak. but got confused. Some travellers say it's too late, some on the contrary say its the best (fewer people, no bugs ... and still a lot of salmon , now on the run back ... Can you help? Where in Alaska to go for bear/salmon watching in September, and would Kodiak be the place?

Big thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear watch Kodiak in September?

If I was going in September, I'd go to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge:

http://www.silversalmoncreek.com/

That said, Kodiak may be ok, too, I just don't know myself. Hopefully someone will pipe up. If not, I'll ask my Kodiak born neighbor how the bear viewing is in September.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear watch Kodiak in September?

Katmai National Park (Brooks Camp) is good in September. There may be a couple of places on Kodiak Island that are good that late - I would check with some lodges or the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. I am going in July and renting a Forest Service Cabin since that is the peak time for that area. You definitely want to be somewhere where it is "peak" bear viewing since the fly-ins are quite expensive.

Taby, Sweden
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear watch Kodiak in September?

Thanks for the info. Brooks Camp sounds right - apart of the cost of the lodge - would you go for the camp? We have done lot of camping under rather primitive conditions but that was at age 15-25 ... now, we are 65 ... .. if you camp, I guess you have to bring with you your camping gear? - can you rent?

A question to Sepptember stay - would first week of Septmeber be ok? I mean enouh salmon on the way back already... thus enough bears to watcx? Sorry for the naive questions ... this will be our first time in Alaska :-

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear watch Kodiak in September?

The first week of September should be ok for Brooks Camp. Camping is not so bad at Brooks since you can us the lodge facilities to eat and shower and really all you have to do is sleep in your tent. The campground has areas to cook and also store your gear and food. You would need a tent, ground pad and good sleeping bag at that time of year. You can rent from places such as REI but you won't be familiar with the gear if you do this.

http://tinyurl.com/75of6bu

I was in Brooks Camp the last two weeks of August and it was a time when the bear viewing isn't optimal and I saw plenty of bears. There were less people since it wasn't a popular bear time and the bears were not at the falls but there were bears on the beach, in the lake, in the river and in Brooks Camp.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear watch Kodiak in September?

Second everything spacefry said with a couple additional tidbits.

1. If you decide to reserve a campground, start looking at booking it now. Reservations for Brooks campground started in January this year and they go pretty fast. There are currently only 25-30 more people who can camp there on some of the dates you are looking at- so it's already half full at the end of February. If you have the dates you'll go and your flights booked, I'd pull the trigger on that as soon as you can.

2. They have carts you can borrow where the float planes drop you off. You can wait for one of those (if other campers are using them) and cart all your gear to the camp ground in them. Way less effort on your part.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear watch Kodiak in September?

Can we do similar trips on Kodiak island without floatplanes or any other small planes? We are interested in going to the Ayakulik river for viewing but will not do a small plane in Alaska. what options do we have?

Thanks!

Reply to: Bear watch Kodiak in September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kodiak